|10| IKASAMPUNG KABANATA

AIDEN

"No way, shut up." His dark brown eyes lit up, staring down at the hoodie I bought for him. His eyes shined the way his mom did. It was beautiful. "This is for me? You're not joking?"

"Yes," I chuckled, not expecting the reaction. I did expect a little bit of appreciation, but not this much. He seemed so excited you would think this is his first time getting a gift, which I'm pretty sure is not.

With a slight pout on his lips, the boy looked up at me. "Thank you, Aiden." 

"You're welcome, bud." I wiggled my eyebrows as I opened my arms wide. Aaron didn't hesitate to throw himself at me, hugging my waist. I ruffled his curly hair, enjoying the warm feeling. "I already washed that for you, by the way." 

Excitedly, Aaron pulled away from the hug and grabbed the hoodie. "I'm gonna wear it now." 

He sprinted into their bathroom, coming out after a few seconds wearing the gift. I was given yet another thank you, to which I chuckled. I was already thinking of buying him more gifts, as he seemed to like receiving stuff. Knowledge or materials he could use. 

As a thank you for my gift, Aaron taught me how to be good at chess. He's explaining some strategies I could use. I was listening to the eager boy when footsteps were heard coming down from the stairs. 

Professor Peterson looks like she has just woken up. Bare feet, an oversized white tee, and very short shorts—only seeing the latter when she raised her arms up to stretch, making the long shirt ride up. With wide eyes and blushing cheeks, I looked away from the inviting sight. I was mentally scolding myself for staring at her for a bit too long to be considered appropriate. 

Thighs. Thick thighs and smooth legs. 

Involuntarily face-palming when my mind drifted back to what I saw. The image is already imprinted on my mind. 

Stop being inappropriate! This is not you, Aiden. 

"Mom!" I turned to Aaron, who stood up and greeted his mom. "Look what Aiden got for me. It's the first gift I received from a friend, and it's from one of my favorite shows." So that's why he was so happy and excited. 

The dark-haired beauty glanced at me before turning back to her son. "That's nice, baby. You look handsome wearing it."

"Thank you," he grinned. 

"What do you want to eat?" 

Aaron shook his head. "I already ate; Aiden made some waffles. She also made you breakfast; I told her what you liked." 

"That's sweet of you guys, thank you," she leaned down to plant a chaste kiss on top of her son's forehead before turning to me. "Aiden, come here. Baby, go play something while Aiden and I talk." 

While the boy happily obliged, I stood up with fidgeting hands, nervous about what we'd be talking about. I followed the dark-haired beauty into the kitchen, where she was leaning against the counter, arms crossed. I looked down at her, waiting for what she was about to say. 

"You didn't have to do that," was what she started with. 

"The gift or the breakfast?" I asked. 

"Former, Aiden. You could've used your money for something else." I knew what she was trying to say, but still, it was only fifty dollars. And it was so worth it to see how grateful Aaron was.

Still, I'm not in the position to argue. Maybe she thought it was intrusive.

"Sorry," I mumbled. 

She smiled, shaking her head. "It's okay, sweetheart. But thank you, though, for the gift and making my baby boy happy. Also for the breakfast." 

"You're welcome, Miss." I looked away, smiling. "I should...probably get back to Aaron now. Enjoy your breakfast." 

With one last thank you, I received a smile before going back to her son to play some games. A bit over an hour passed when Professor Peterson came back out, now wearing her work attire. A pencil skirt and a blouse, along with her 4-inch heels. Something she usually wears at the university. 

"I'm going to work now, baby. Behave, okay?" Aaron nodded as his mom kissed him on top of his head. "Bye, Aiden." 

"Take care, Miss." I waved goodbye, smiling timidly. 

Her hand touched my shoulder briefly as she passed. 

————— - ————— - —————

"Reach that for me," Lexie pointed at the box high on top. Reaching it for her, I waited patiently as she went and bought more groceries from the list. 

Lexie wanted to buy groceries, but her boyfriend, being a lazy ass, stayed home and decided to play online games instead. I volunteered to help her while Zoey joined Julius to play in our dorm room. 

"Go wait in line already; I'm just going to get one last thing," she ordered, and she pushed me by my shoulders lightly. I was about to protest when she gave me a look, and with a defeated sigh, I started walking towards the cashier anxiously. 

"Aw, fuck!" I groaned in pain when a rather heavy cart rolled down my foot. I'm wearing flip-flops. I crouched down, soothing the ache. I rarely curse; this situation calls for a fucking cuss. God. 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" Clenching and unclenching my hands, I gave a yes before taking a glimpse at the owner of the cart.

"You're the girl from last week," the familiar girl said as soon as our eyes met, furrowing her eyebrows. I recognized her as the girl I bumped into and cried in front of me in the parking lot.

"Yeah." I cringed from the pain. 

She bit her lip, looking down at my injured foot. "I'm really sorry; I didn't see you. I didn't mean to do that."

"It's okay, this is nothing." I pretended to play it cool, smiling down at her to ease her guilt. 

"I can't really treat it for you since I'm in a hurry, but I want to pay you back–" I cut her off.

"That's not necessary, Miss." She cut me off. 

"Vera," she said, reaching her hand out for a handshake, which I accepted. 

"Aiden." 

"Well, Aiden, I want to pay you back. Not only for injuring you, but for last week too. If you're not too busy," she said, looking up at me with pleading eyes. I chuckled nervously at the sight. "Please?" 

"I-yeah, okay," I breathe out. I'm weak. 

Her hazel eyes lit up before she squealed. "Thank you! Here, this is my number," she said, taking out her card. "Text me later; just say your name or whatever. Don't forget, okay? I'm in a hurry, so I'll be going first. Sorry again, by the way!" Vera said the last part a bit loudly as she ran. 

The card had her number written down, along with her name, Vera Ivanov. I put it in my pocket for later. I flinched in surprise when a hand tapped my shoulder. 

"I told you to get in line, not get a girl's number, you player." Lexie shook her head in feigned disappointment. I followed her. 

"I-I didn't... I'm not a player–" I didn't get to finish when she tapped my cheek repeatedly in a playful manner. 

"You don't have to explain, sweetheart. I understand that you're getting older." She then snickered and marched towards the counter. With a red face and pouting lips, I stood behind. 

After a few minutes at the counter, we both carried the groceries out to her car. 

"Isn't that Professor Peterson?" Lexie pointed to her right while we were loading up the trunk. Following her line of sight, it was indeed the dark haired beauty along with a man. It was her husband, Sir Tristan. It seems like they are arguing. "Is that her husband?"

I nodded as an answer and looked away at the sight, not wanting to witness the scene, as it may seem that I'm trying to eavesdrop, especially since I know them. 

"Let's go," I called, getting into the passenger seat. 

Taking one last glance at the arguing couple, my brows furrowed in worry upon seeing the distressed and sad look on my professor's face. She's trying not to cry. It was my first time seeing that kind of expression on her, and it brought a familiar feeling to my chest. Something I usually get every time I see my mama or my parents sad. 

At this moment, I wanted to jump out of the car and comfort the woman whose smile can make anyone's day brighten with its genuine warmth.

Shaking the thought out of my head, I made a mental note to check in on her tomorrow while babysitting. 

I hope she's okay.

"What are you thinking?" Lexie asked as she side glanced. 

"Nothing." 

Resting my head against the window, I then remembered the card Vera gave me. Retrieving it from my pocket, I typed in the number to save in my contacts and sent a text. 

Aiden: Hi, it's Aiden.

Vera: Hi, Aiden. So, are you free this Saturday?

Aiden: Yes, I am.

Vera: Yey, see you, cutie :P

Aiden: See you :)

—————

Votes and comments will truly be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

—————