|18| IKALABING-WALONG KABANATA

— AIDEN —

"Where are you going?"

Julius draped his arm around my shoulders, peeking over to glance at me typing on my phone.

"Meeting Vera," I briefly answered.

My response earned a push to my arm and a shit-eating grin. Julius yelled 'fucking finally' before patting my shoulders as if congratulating me. 

"I'm glad you're giving it a try, Vera is a sweet girl. I'm sure you two will work out just fine," he sighed dreamily.

Appalled, I smacked his arm lightly. "The heck are you talking about?"

"Aren't you going on a date with her?"

I shook my head immediately. "What? No! How'd you get that conclusion?"

"Keep denying it, you'll eventually get why," he said with a grin before leaving me alone.

But I really am not going on a date with Vera. She's a friend.

Not minding what Julius said, I bid goodbye to them and went down to the parking lot where Vera is already waiting near her car.

"Hey."

"Hi." I waved shyly.

Vera chuckled lightly when I run to open the door for her, even though she's technically the one going to drive.

"I see chivalry isn't dead," she commented and entered. "Thanks, cutie."

I climbed up the passenger side. "You're welcome."

"So, we've been to my favorite restaurant already. Do you have one in mind that we can try?"

"I don't really have a favorite, but I like yours." I gave a shy smile. "The ambiance was really great and the food was delicious. I loved it."

"Really?" I nodded enthusiastically. "I don't blame you, I have good taste."

We then decided to go to her favorite place and spend time there. Vera and I have been hanging out lately, she would message me, asking if I'm free before inviting me to eat with her. I don't think she noticed that I know why. Although I do trust that she treats me as a friend and enjoys my company, I kind of noticed that Vera seems lonely. Not the alone kind of lonely.

I'm assuming it's about her problem the first time I met her. If I remember correctly, her boyfriend broke up with her and her parents are going through a divorce.

Maybe she's trying to take her mind off of things.

I don't really mind accompanying her. She's really fun to be around.

"Tell me, what are your pet peeves? At least give me one." Vera asked as she ate her fry.

"That," I pointed to the way she carelessly spread the ketchup all over her french fries instead of putting the sauce on the side for dipping. "is one of my biggest pet peeves."

"Oh, shit. Sorry," she chuckled. "I've been doing this since I was young, it's basically a hobby at this point. Am I annoying you now?" She questioned playfully.

"Understandable. It's just food though, so you're good."

"Thank goodness, I thought this will put me on your bad side."

"Just don't be the kind of person who likes pineapple on their pizza, then we're good. That's just a deal breaker."

Vera scratched her neck. "Well, sorry to tell you this..."