|11| IKALABING-ISANG KABANATA

— AIDEN —

I went down the stairs when Aaron finally fell asleep after hours of helping him study for an upcoming test. Quietly, I entered the kitchen to see Professor Peterson leaning against the counter, a glass of wine in hand as she stared at the ring on her finger with a sad look on her beautiful face.

Announcing my presence with a clear of my throat, I cautiously approached the woman when she turned to look at me. Although it was timid, a smile was still given my way.

"Aaron?" She asked.

"Asleep," I answered. Biting my lip, I contemplated whether I should ask her if she's okay or not. The scene from yesterday still on my mind. She was fighting with her husband.

A small chuckle made me look at her. "You can ask."

Embarrassed, I scratched the back of my neck. "I just... I want to know if you're okay."

"I'm okay, Aiden. Thank you for asking," a smile, but this time a smile that I didn't like.

Frustrated, I clenched my fist. I don't know what I want or why I'm acting this way, but I needed her to know that I'm here for her, whatever that means. "I'm not... I'm not asking just because. I want to know if you're really okay."

"Why do you think I'm not?"

"Because your smile is different. On happy days you would smile with your teeth and your eyes would shine too. They would turn into this lighter shade of brown. But now it seems darker and you're smiling like you're hurt," I let out my frustration, furrowing my brows as I stared down at her.

A shocked expression crossed her face before finally, a genuine smile formed on her red lips. It was a whole day of not seeing her smile like that, and finally seeing it now made my heart flutter.

"Come here, darling," she gestured, beckoning me towards her. I obliged, stepping close to her. I think I felt my heart stopped beating when soft arms circled my waist and head rested on my chest. Her warm body pressed against mine, too close that I could feel her heart beating against her chest. I pretty sure she could hear mine too.

"Is this okay?" A soft voice asked. I didn't answer and instead wrapped my arms around her. Although my heart was beating too fast for my comfort and my tongue seemed to be tied right now, I let myself enjoying the feeling of her embrace. My body tingling, hands slightly shaking in nervousness. "Thank you for checking up on me."

I so badly wanted to ask what made her sad, although I already had a hunch from what I saw yesterday. I refrained myself from asking because it isn't any of my business.

Silence enveloped us, the sounds of our breathing and probably the fast beating of my heart are the only things that could be heard in the empty room. Hesitantly, I let my hand rest on her hair, lightly stroking the  dark curls.

When she finally pulled away, I caught Professor Peterson discreetly wiping her eyes, probably from tearing up a bit. "Sorry for hugging you. I just really needed that," she said with a slight chuckle, trying to mask her emotions. 

"You don't have to apologize," blushing, I continued. "If... If you want, you can hug me everytime you're sad or need someone."

I know I'm not the person you can open up to, someone you can vent your feelings. So, I'm settling for a shoulder you can just cry on and arms to comfort you. I don't know why, but I want to.

I want to be someone she can rely on. Even if it's something simple as hugging.

"Thank you, Aiden," smiling her beautiful smile.