|31| IKA-TATLUMPU'T ISANG KABANATA

— AMAYAH —

"We really won't be having any problems going through the divorce smoothly. You two are clearly self-supporting and came to a full agreement on all the details regarding the divorce. The division of all assets and properties, alimony, child custody and child support. You're filing for a joint custody, correct?"

Tristan and I looked at each other before nodding.

"Once I file the divorce settlement agreement, all we have to do is wait for the court to approve the paperwork in order to finalize the divorce."

"Aside from the settlement agreement, what more do we need for this?" I questioned the lawyer.

"We will need to file for a Petition for Divorce, along with Domestic Relations Financial Affidavit signed by both parties. Considering that you two have a 10 year old child, the judge will require the both of you to attend educational seminar for parents."

"Do we have to go to trial?"

"Most likely, no. This is a no-fault divorce state, the marriage being irretrievably broken is enough to file."

"How long would it take?"

"Roughly 2 to 3 months, 4 at most. Although there's a possibility of no trial, the finalization could take about a month."

2 to 3 months...

Could she wait that long?

I knew the divorce isn't going to be messy as we settled for an uncontested and no fault one, but it doesn't mean it would be any faster than we would like it to be. From filing the paperwork to waiting for an approval, it would take months before I could go back to my maiden name. Before I could finally try the romance department once again.

Despite the fact that Tristan already has Bianca even though we're not officially separated, I couldn't bring myself to date someone while still legally tied to another.

I do admit to liking Aiden more than I should, it was something I couldn't avoid and deny. She made me feel seen, appreciated and beautiful. She made me feel again.

After all these years of feeling nothing but emptiness, Aiden came barging into my life with her dark brown eyes, soft yet mysterious, curtained by her long black lashes, along with her captivating smile that seemed to match her sparkling eyes. The corners of her mouth turning up, toothy grin and reddening cheeks. And her gentle touch, always light and brief, caring at most whenever it lands on my skin.

I never thought I'd feel again. And when it happened, I was too afraid to acknowledge the way my heart would beat faster whenever she's near or the way my body relaxes at the warmth she gives.

It took a lot of doubts and fear before I finally said yes, and on top of the already existing worries, another one added to the list. The time of which I would need to make her wait, something not a lot of people are willing to stay for.

Why would she wait for months to come when there's always someone she could be with far less complicated than this?

I wasn't the first to show her kindness nor affection, I wasn't the first to comfort and ease her worry. So why me?

Why would she settle for someone with a lot of baggage?

Am I really worthy enough to make her wait for something we're not even sure if it's going to work? If it's going to last?

"How would you know if you don't try?"

"Fuck!"

Startled, I gasped as I touched my chest, my racing fast due to Tristan's sudden interruption. "What the heck, Tris?"