|61| IKA-ANIMNAPU'T ISANG KABANATA

— AIDEN —

"Hey," I called softly as Amayah descended down the stairs. Her seemingly dull dark-brown eyes met mine, tugging at my heartstrings. "I made breakfast." I swallowed the lump forming in my throat as I said the words.

Amayah glanced at the table where the breakfast I made was placed, her favorites. "I'm not hungry," she said after a few seconds of silence.

"You don't have to eat it now, I can pack it for you," I tried again, knowing that she hasn't been eating well since Aaron found out. It's been 9 days already and I hate seeing her like this. She's not eating properly, overworking herself and I know she's not sleeping enough. And I know she may be using her work as an excuse to avoid me, but it's not partially a lie as we really are busy. Considering the number of classes she's handling, I know it's adding to her stress.

"I said I'm not hungry, Aiden," Amayah said, firmly this time. I relented, seeing the irritation on her face.

"Okay." I played with the spoon I'm holding, looking down at my plate. Trying to think of anything else to say. Anything. Just anything to hear her voice again, even if it's not the same lovely and sweet tone she uses.

"Is he... Is Aaron talking to you?"

"No," she answered briefly. "I'm going first, lock the door on your way out."

Before she could take another step, I called her name. Without uttering a single word, Amayah turned her head to look at me questioningly. "I love you."

"I love you, too," she replied and went out soon after, not waiting for anything else I'm about to say. I frowned at myself, blinking away the tears wanting to form in my eyes.

With a heavy heart, I cleaned up after myself, not having the appetite to finish my meal. I went to the university, way earlier than I should because I decided to go at Amayah's place before she's even awake to make breakfast, so we could eat together, but unfortunately for me, that didn't happen.

I met my friends who are all waiting for me outside the dorm, oblivious to what's happening, except for Julius. He's the only person I confided in. Julius raised a brow at me, silently asking how it went. I shook my head with a slight smile, not wanting to show how much it affected me.

Considering it was still early, we hangout in campus park for a bit. Zoey and Vera do their respective tasks, while Lexie's busy reading a book. Julius and I mostly stayed to ourselves, with him comforting me still and listening to me talk about what happened.

"Maybe you can try talking to Aaron tomorrow again?" He suggested.

"Maybe," I replied. "Yeah no, I should."

"Why do you need to talk to your step-son?" Lexie butted in our conversation, leaning her chin on her boyfriend's shoulder. I couldn't help but chuckle and shake my head at what she called Aaron.

"Nosy bitch," Julius pinched her nose affectionately.

"Says the nosiest bitch of them all," Lexie smacked his hand. "Anyway, so? Why?"

"None of your business," It was Julius who spoke again, earning another smack from his girlfriend. I sighed as I watched their banter, missing the way I would do the same with Amayah.

"Fine, I won't ask," She rolled her eyes, but I knew it was playful. Lexie understands and respects my privacy.  "Anyway, we should get going. Ours starts at 8."

"Ours too," Julius said, checking our schedule. He still doesn't have it memorized and it baffles me because it's been over 3 weeks since class started. "We'll get going now."