|12| IKALABING-DALAWANG KABANATA

— AIDEN —

Do I want it to be?

Yeah, no.

"I-I... I don't–" I got cut off when Vera laughed out loud, bringing tears to her eyes.

"I'm kidding," she said after calming down, noticing my discomfort. "You're really cute, Aiden. Don't worry, this is just a friendly date. You know, us getting to know each other because I really am grateful for what you did last week and sorry for literally running a cart over your foot."

"I know, that's what I told him," I said with wide eyes. "Sorry if I made you uncomfortable this time."

"You didn't. So, want to tell me more about you? Like, actually you," she said with a genuine smile. "After all, this is a friendly date. Friends should get to know each other."

"You want to be friends?"

"Of course, I think you're really sweet and I want to be your friend." Finally feeling at ease, I let myself open up a bit more about me as she did the same.

I learned a lot about her as time passed, she talks a lot. Although I feel more open about making new friends despite the fear of being rejected, I learned that being honest about my situation as soon as possible would make things hurt less. If we're not attached to each other, them leaving me because of my anatomy would not hurt me on a deeper level.

"Before... Before anything else," I started to say. "I want to be honest about something."

Pausing from sipping her drink, Vera gave me her full attention. "Alright."

"I know this may sound weird or–" I was cut off from speaking when Vera held my fidgetting hands.

"Relax," she gave me a comforting smile. "It's okay if you can't say it."

"Uhm, no, I want to," I pushed. Better now than later, right? "As you can see, I'm a female. But I have this situation where instead of a female anatomy, I... I have a di–the male one. I'm not trans though."

"I see," nodding, Vera leaned back. "Intersex, right?" I nodded. "I read about that. Don't worry, Aiden. It doesn't bother me if that's what you're thinking."

My eyes widened. "Really? We can still be friends?"

She laughed. "Of course. Like I said, you're sweet."

I have a new friend? That easy? Wow.

Smiling down to myself, my legs bounced as I sipped my drink.

This is great.

Although we enjoyed our time together alone, Vera told me that I could invite my friends if I want so I did. The three of them arrived a few minutes later, all looking excited, particularly Julius, for the gossip. Pretty sure he's still adamant on thinking that this is a date and Vera has a crush on me or something.

"Soooo," Julius sat down beside eagerly.

Vera chuckled. "Is this the friend?"

"Unfortunately," I nodded, feigning disappointment.

Julius gasped, appalled. "The fuck do you mean unfortunately? What did you say about me?"

"That you like chisme," Vera answered for me, earning a laugh from all of us. "Aiden here is really cute, but I recently got out of a relationship. I honestly just want friendship."

"Okay, cool. Well, I'm Julius." They all introduced themselves to Vera who gladly repeated all what she told me about herself as my friends also talked about themselves.