|53| IKA-LIMANGPU'T TATLONG KABANATA

— AIDEN —

"I'm still thinking if I want to be a professor like mom or if I want to be a doctor," Aaron answered to mom's question of his dream job when he grows up.

Mom looked at my girlfriend, impressed. "You're a professor?"

Amayah nodded, smiling. "I am."

"Mom's a professor at Aide's school!" Aaron butted in, making both Amayah and I tense. Julius widened his eyes at me, signaling me to change the topic. Before I could even utter a single word, mom spoke again.

"I see, what are you teach–"

"Shit!" Julius exclaimed as he abruptly stood up, his beverage all over his pants. "I'm so sorry, I spilled it on me by accident. G-d, I just bought this jeans." He shook his head, sighing rather dramatically.

Mom immediately took wipes inside her bad. "Here, sweetie. Go to the restroom and fix yourself up."

Julius accepted the offer with a thanks and left, but not before giving me a side eye. I saw from the corner of my eye that the shorter woman sighed in relief, although still tense. Clearing my throat, I opted to start a new conversation. One that doesn't involve Amaya's career.

"So, mom, dad, how's life back at home?" I tried.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. "As if you don't know, we talk almost everyday, sweetheart. I don't want to talk about us, we want to talk about you and how you're doing."

"Right," I internally cringed.

"Talk about our daughter's life? You seem more interested talking to our little guy here," Dad teased, ruffling Aaron's hair.

"Oh, stop. You know I always wanted another one," Mom rolled her eyes. "But Aiden here wants all my attention that I didn't bother adopting again."

"Lies," I whispered which she heard, earning a glare from my mom. I grinned goofily then.

"Anyway, was Aiden a good babysitter to you, sweetie?" Mom turned her attention back to Aaron. "I'll scold her if she wasn't."

The kid nodded eagerly. "She's the best! Aide taught me all kinds of games and she lets me cook and cooks food for me too. We also study together and she's bought me gifts a few times now. We play game night with mom every saturday and sometimes we watch films." I held in a breath at his rumbling, hoping he won't spill anything suspicious.

"Aiden sleeps over a lot in our house so I get to play with her in the morning too!"

Fuck.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

"I-It gets late sometimes... so I sleep in the guest room, alone," I reasoned out almost immediately, subtly wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans.

This kid will be the death of me.

"Is that so?" Mom raised a brow, catching up on the waver of my voice and the obvious stutter. Even Dad and Vera stared at me with suspicion. What confused me tho, is Lexie's worried face. Why is she worried? Does she know something?

I kept in mind to talk to her later.

"Dessert! The dessert's here," Lexie suddenly blurted out. I then sighed in relief when the waiter arrived with our dessert, distracting both mom and Aaron. A few seconds in, Julius also came back, smiling.

As soon as my friend sat down, he began rambling and rambling about almost anything. I'm pretty sure he's doing it to divert mom's attention from us. Smiling appreciatively, I held Amaya's hand briefly under the table. Thankfully, mom didn't get to interrogate anymore.