Chapter 3

"Jeremy"

"Jeremy"

"Jeremy, it's time to wake up. The bus will be here in 20 minutes." Giselle yelled from her bathroom in her room. She was putting on the final touches to her make up and applied a bit more curling serum to her curls, scrunching it up to add more volume. She wore a black cashmere turtleneck, black and white checkered skinny dress pants, and red ballet flats. Giselle never wore heels if she could help it, especially after nearly breaking her ankle on her 30th birthday.

With a hard push, Giselle opened the door with a loud bang meant to raise her son from his bed.

He was still covered in his Minecraft blanket and in that moment chose to pull it further and tighter over his head.

"Oh no, you heard me. Up! Now!" Giselle yanked the blanket from his grip and exposed his half smiling face, clearly aware of the grief he was causing his mother.

"Let's go, you still have to brush your teeth and get dressed, up now!" Giselle gave her last warning, making her tone appear serious.

Still with no movement she joined him on the bed and started tickling his sides.

Jeremy laughed uncontrollably while squirming in his bed. "Ok Mom."

As soon as his feet touched the floor, he headed for the hallway bathroom to brush his teeth as he had been instructed.

Giselle headed for the kitchen to pour herself some coffee for her travel mug. She filled it to the top and added almond creamer to take the bitterness out. She scrolled through her calendar on her phone, taking mental note of the day ahead of her.

"Jeremy are you ready?" Giselle yelled so that her voice carried down the hallway.

"Yes, Mom" Jeremy appeared in the opening of the kitchen dressed in his school uniform with his stripped tie in his left hand. He looked so cute in his maroon blazer, white button down and khaki slacks.

"Here let me help you." Giselle took the tie out of his hand and began working on forming the knot. When she was satisfied with her work she bent down, giving him a kiss on the cheek leaving a red lipstick stain behind and then wiping it away with a swipe of her thumb. "Alright honey, get yourself something to eat before your bus gets here."

Jeremy pulled out the step ladder and opened a cabinet above the stove looking for a bowl and his favorite cereal.

10 more minutes went by before Giselle noticed a yellow vehicle pull in front of her living room window.

"The bus is here baby."

Jeremy took one last bite of his breakfast before rushing to put the bowl and spoon in the sink. He quickly grabbed his bag and winter coat that were hanging on the dining room chair and made his way out the front door.

"Don't I get a kiss good-bye?" Giselle asked just before he could step into the bus.

Jeremy turned around and hugged his mom. Giselle bent down and kissed him again on the cheek.

"Have a good day baby." Giselle wished him well as he finally took his seat and waved from the window.

Being first at the realty office, she opened her laptop and started scanning through the emails that had been received over the weekend. She quickly browsed through them, deleting the ones that were just spam and moved the more important urgent ones to her special folder.