Chapter 30

The next morning, I woke early. So early, in fact, that the sun had barely risen. I groaned and rolled over to look at the clock. It was six-thirty in the morning. I decided to roll over and go back to sleep. 

The next time I woke up, it was ten-fifteen. 

"Shoot!" I flung the covers off and shot out of bed. Once I hit my feet, I stumbled forward. I paused to let the dizziness fade, then continued on to the closet. I grabbed my old 'Weird Sisters' t-shirt and some ripped jeans and hurried to find my shoes. I found some old black vans and slid them on quickly. 

I took one look in the mirror and knew I wouldn't have time for hair. I simply threw it up in a messy bun and stumbled down the hall to the bathroom. 

After I had done my business and washed my hands, I brushed my teeth. I took one last look in the mirror at my whole outfit and decided it was good enough for now. I ran back to my room and grabbed my wallet, my wand, and a black and red plaid flannel Fred gave me the other day. Once I was sure I had everything, I dashed downstairs.

"Morning Dad, bye Dad!" I shouted, ignoring his amused grin. "Bye sweets. Have a good day." I threw some Floo powder into the fireplace, shouted "Diagon Alley!" and was on my way.

I stepped out at the correct place and ran down the street to the shop. I slowed down the closer I got and had mostly caught my breath by the time I reached the doors. 

"There you are!" Fred yelled happily as I entered, hopping over the counter to come greet me. "Hey, sorry," I said, hugging him quickly. "I woke up super early then went back to sleep and overslept," I explained hurriedly, stepping behind the counter and grabbing an apron.

"No worries," Fred said calmly as he sat on top of the counter. "We aren't super busy today, or we aren't yet anyway." He swung his legs casually as he watched me get set up. I especially felt his gaze as I stuck my wand into a special pocket in my jeans. All magical jeans, skirts, and dresses came with these pockets now. They became really popular in "normal" clothing after the war because people are still so paranoid (myself included).

I looked up guiltily and he smiled grimly as he patted the side of his left leg. I sighed and went over to stand in between his legs. He put his arms around my neck and stared down at me. "I think this is a little backwards, don't you think?" I teased, poking him in the ribs. He laughed and pushed my hands away.

"Yeah, I guess it is," he replied, motioning for me to move back. I took a few steps back and he slid off the counter. He winced and lifted his right foot slightly, using his left hand to balance himself.

"You okay?" I asked softly, taking a small step forward in case he needed my help. He nodded and gingerly put his foot back down. "Yeah. That foot still isn't normal." He shook his head once and sighed. "Every time I hop down like that it sends a stinging sensation all the way up my leg to my hip. I also can't put a lot of weight on it like before." he paused briefly, then added, "I mean, you've seen how I limp now. It'll probably be like that for the rest of my life." He sighed wistfully and I frowned and reached out to take his hand. "I'm sorry," I murmured. "If it makes you feel any better, I have some pretty gnarly scars all over my body."

I let go of him and turned away. "That's why I mostly wear clothes that cover a majority of my body now." I walked over to the counter to try and find the task list for today.

"They can't be that bad," he murmured, adding, "I think you're beautiful either way though." I snorted. "You're a little biased," I muttered as I scanned the list. Cleaning, organizing some things behind the counter, stocking, and that was about it. Doesn't seem too hard.