Chapter 15

When I woke up the next morning, I was shocked to realise I wasn't in my room. I was just as shocked to realise that Fred was lying right across from me. I tried to get up to go downstairs, but he tightened his hold on me. I raised an eyebrow and tried to move again. Same result. After a few tries, I gave up and stayed still. 

I took a good look at him. His hair, which had grown out a bit on top, fell into his face. The sun streaming into the room was like a spotlight on his face. I noticed the freckles on his nose and the way his hair shone in the sun. I allowed myself a small smile as I carefully reached up and pushed the hair out of his face.

He shifted slightly in his sleep which made me freeze. I didn't want to wake him up. Thankfully, he didn't wake up this time. I let out a quiet breath of relief and settled back down on the pillow. Maybe I'd take a little nap as I waited on him. But as soon as I closed my eyes, I felt him move. I opened one eye to look at him. He froze, his hand close to my face. 

Fred grinned sheepishly. "Morning," he murmured. He pushed some hair back out of my face. My heart did that funny thing it kept doing yesterday. I'm beginning to worry I have a heart problem. I gave Fred an unimpressed look. "So you were awake," I stated knowingly. He shrugged, still wearing his sheepish grin. His brown eyes glinted in the sun and I got lost in how pretty they were. They were like the sand in the creek, glimmering beautifully underneath the dancing water.

"Guilty," he admitted, chuckling slightly. I rolled my eyes and buried my face in the pillow. Fred laughed and asked, "What are you doing?" I waited for a minute before I turned to look at him again. "I dunno," I replied, laughing as well. "As long as you know," he replied jokingly. I rolled my eyes again but smiled anyway. "Cheeky git," I mumbled, turning on my side so my back was to him. 

"Oh come on, you love me," he stated, resting his head on my shoulder. I looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. "Says who?" Shock flooded his face, but was quickly replaced with a smirk. "Me." I smirked and replied, "Well I say I don't."

Fred frowned and sighed dramatically. "You just broke my heart," he breathed, falling back on the bed dramatically. He draped an arm across his forehead and closed his eyes. I turned so I was on my other side, propping myself up on my elbow. "I didn't know you had a heart," I mused, laughing when he peeked up at me in an amused manner. 

"Oh come now, how could I love without a heart?" He returned, sitting up so he was level with me. I shrugged. "I didn't know you loved anything." He rolled his eyes and said, "Well I love you, don't I?" I was thrown by his statement. "Me?" I questioned, staring at him wide-eyed. Fred rolled his eyes again. "Duh. You're my best friend, aren't you?" 

My heart thudded painfully and I shook my head. "Right, yeah," I replied, laughing awkwardly. "Well, in that case, I love you too." I hoped my statement would brush over the misunderstanding I'd had there, and thankfully it did. His eyes flickered a little before he smiled and said, "Good to know."

I rolled my eyes and tried to reach over him for my glasses. "Whoa, what're you doing?!" He asked, alarmed. "Getting my glasses," I replied, snagging them off the bedside table. I went back to where I was before and put my glasses on. "Oh. Well, you didn't have to climb over me for them," he said, staring at me weirdly. I shrugged. "Seemed easier at the time."

He rolled his eyes. "Of course it did," he teased. I rolled my eyes and threw the covers off. "Whatever. I'm going downstairs." I tried to climb over him again so I could get out of bed, but he wrapped his arms around my waist. He pulled me back down and I landed on his chest. 

"Are you mad?!" I asked, smacking at his hands. "Nope, I'm perfectly happy," he replied airily. I smacked his arm and hissed, "You know what I meant." With a grin, he replied, "I know." I clenched my jaw and pinched his hand. "Ow!" He cried, pausing to meet my eyes and asked, "What was that for?!"