60. To The East

.

Shuǐ ChangSheng's grey gaze was fixed on LanFen with clear disapproval, making her squirm in discomfort.

They were in the gardens again, seated in the same positions as the previous time.

'What an intense gaze! Such an unsettling way to berate a person!' But LanFen was determined to ignore his gaze, so she silently studied the garden.

Fall flowers were blooming, and the leaves were bright and colourful... 'It's almost a year now... A year since I lost you.'

"Zhao Liu, how are we to protect you, if you will not tell us these things?" Shuǐ ChangSheng finally spoke, pulling LanFen from her thoughts.

LanFen sighed. "Clan Leader Shuǐ, Please forgive my boldness...

"After what nearly happened in Bronze city, shouldn't you direct your energies toward protecting the Shuǐ clan's interests? Why bother with a person like me?

"I realized from the start, that we have the same enemies, so I wouldn't entirely blame myself, if anything happens... However, unlike me, you have an entire clan resting on your shoulders.

"You should think about your steps carefully, shouldn't you?"

A quiet moment passed, as Shuǐ ChangSheng studied her. He was part amazed and part impressed.

Maybe it was because of everything Zhao LanFeng had gone through, but at times like this, he tended to sound far beyond his age.

'For such a young person to even dare advice someone like me...'

Zhao LanFeng was certainly impressive, but he was in no way strong enough to be left alone.

Shuǐ ChangSheng studied the determined expression before him, and decided to try another approach... If Zhao wanted to protect the Shuǐ Clan, then he would use that trap him.

"Zhao Liu, didn't you consider that it might already be too late for the Shuǐ Clan to step away?"

LanFen cocked her head in mild confusion. "But Clan Leader Shuǐ, all you have to do is ignore me from now on... I will go after our mutual enemies, whether you ask me to, or not."

But Shuǐ ChangSheng reminded her. "You once told me that you would have to behave yourself, because Elder Zhao had come to your rescue. A move which made the entire Wulin, associate you with the Zhao Clan, right?"

LanFen nodded uneasily, and Shuǐ ChangSheng had to keep his smile from widening.

"Then why haven't you considered how things will affect the Shuǐ Clan?

"I made it clear that I was on your side, during the hearing. I even suggested a light sentence for you, so you could safely remain in the Shuǐ Clan.

"I also sent you out to Lode City, with my only son and successor, and now the entire Wulin knows that we worked together in Bronze City...

"The Shuǐ Clan is already too involved. On one hand, if anything happens to you, we have to answer to Elder Zhao, and on the other hand, if you are caught doing any wrong, the Shuǐ Clan will be implicated as well!

"You want to protect us, right? Don't be selfish then, and tell me everything you know!"

A somewhat lengthy silence followed his words, during which LanFen reaffirmed her respect for Clan Leader Shuǐ!

He had turned everything around in his favour!

"Heh! I really can't win against you, Clan Leader Shuǐ... However, I don't think Elder brother Shuǐ and Elder brother Lu should be involved any further."