Chapter 24

Crystal Collins

I could hear the sound of carnival music playing in the distance as me and Camila stood in line to purchase our tickets. The closer we got to the window, the more our excitement grew. The fair only came once a year, so we both were looking forward to having a ball.

Still to this day I enjoyed getting on all the rides, just like I did when I was Camila's age.

"One child, and one adult wrist band please," I said to the man behind the glass as we approached the window.

As he retrieved the unlimited bands that we could use to enjoy all the rides, I reached into my wallet to get the money to pay. It came to a whooping total of thirty dollars. Once making a trade, I put both of our passes on, then led the both of us through the park entrance.

"Mommy, mommy, can we please get on the Thrasher this year? I think I'm tall enough now!" Camila begged, squeezing my hand while jumping up and down.

"Oh course baby," I replied with a smile. "But first we should maybe get a small bite to eat."

We haven't had anything at all to eat yet today, so we both needed something to hold us over. I knew if we ate too much we would get sick.

"I'm not hungry," she whined. "I wanna ride the rides!"

"We will get to all the rides, I promise, but mommy is starving," I rubbed my stomach in attempt to sound more convincing.

"Alright but after we eat you promise we can go ride the Thrasher?"

"Yes, I promise now lets go get in line before it gets too long!"

Still holding on to my hand, we made our way over towards the nearest food stand. I was in a dying need of something unhealthy, good, and greasy to eat, although I knew I didn't need it.

After waiting in line for about ten minutes, we finally reached the counter and it was our turn to order. The sweet smell of deep fried deliciousness smacked me in the face the instant we got to the window of the food truck.

"What do you want to eat Cami?"

"I'm not hungry," she groaned.

"Are you just saying that because you want to hurry up and get on the Thrasher?"

She replied with an innocent smirk.

"Mila you should at least eat something," I informed her. "It's a long walk from here. Doesn't the mini corn dogs sound good?"

Her eyes suddenly lit up as she stood on her tippy toes to look through the window of the truck.

"They have mini corn dogs?" she questioned, now excited for something else other than the ride.

The man at the window chuckled as I did too.

"Yes. Do you want some?"

"Yes!" she clapped.

"How many does each bucket come with?" I asked the man.

"The small comes with six, medium comes with nine, and the large comes with twelve. Each additional one cost seventy-five cents," the employee replied with a southern accent.

"Um," I thought about which size to get. "Can I get the medium, a small french fry, and two bottles of water please?"

"Ya sure can," he smiled. "That'll be $23.75."