Chapter 25

Rakim Mayers

After completing my morning routine, I threw on something comfortable, yet presentable for the day. I then proceeded to have intentions on waking up Cameron so he could hop in the tub, but to my surprise, he was already wide awake in his room watching cartoons, as usual.

"Good morning!" he greeted me loudly, obviously full of joy.

"Good morning," I laughed. "Someone's in a good mood this morning. How long have you been up?"

"I dunno," he shrugged. "I've only watched two Spongebob episodes."

"Two?" I repeated." You must have been up for a while then early bird."

"What's an early bird?" his eyebrows furrowed.

"An early bird is someone who gets up early in the morning."

"Dad are you an early bird?" Cameron asked.

"I was, once, when I was your age."

"What happened?"

"I got older and started cherishing sleep," I simply told him. "But since you're already up, go hop in the tub."

"Why," he asked dramatically.

"What do you mean why? You have to wash up, knot head."

"No I don't. I can walk around stinky all day."

"Girls don't like that Cam."

"Well I don't like girls."

"What do you like?"

"Food. Girls got cooties."

I couldn't help but laugh as I shook my head. He laughed too as he turned the television set off with the remote then climbed out of bed.

"For real, go wash up so we can go."

"Where we going?" Cameron questioned.

"Don't worry about it," I sucked my teeth. "Being nosey."

He poked his bottom lip out before sticking it back in after I gave him a look.

"I'm hungry," he sighed.

"What do you want? I'm not making breakfast today."

"Can we go out to eat for breakfast?" he asked excitedly with big eyes.

That was actually a good idea.

"If you hurry up and wash up we can."

"You promise?" he gasped.

"Yes, now go."

Cameron suddenly dashed out the bedroom and ran for the bathroom in the hall. I shook my head as I heard the bath water running just seconds later.

He was old enough to wash himself, but too young to take a shower. For some reason, he was afraid of the shower head, but had no problem playing under the water sprayers at a water park.

After making sure he was actually getting into the tub, I then went to go wake up Crystal. She was still sound asleep in her room, however, I knocked before entering. Being replied with silence, I slowly opened the door and peeked inside.

She was curled up in the corner of her bed, sleeping peacefully underneath the covers. So peacefully I almost didn't want to wake her up.

Further pushing back the bedroom door, I crept inside, calling her name in a soft tone. Still no answer. I made my way closer towards the bed to try and wake her up physically. Once approaching, I noticed she had a slight smirk plastered accoss her face.