Moving Out

"Dad?" Alyssia knocks on the door of the study and goes in. Brian is sitting in the armchair by the window reading.

"I didn't hear you come home," He looks up from his book, "You just got home?"

"Yeah," She's been at the rink with her Dancing on Ice celebrity partner for this year, "I got a call from Toby on the way home, we got the house."

Brian sits up, setting his book down, bookmark in place, "The one in Richmond? Have they given you a moving window?"

"Because it's mine and Toby's first house and the last owners moved out months ago, it means there are no chains and the paperwork should be relatively quick and straightforward. They reckon we could move in the beginning to mid-February."

"Three to four weeks. That's a fast turnover but it's good, a lot of people have to wait months for a moving date."

"That's why we went for this house, it's big for just the two of us, to begin with, but when we start having children it will be the right side and hopefully our house for the long term."

They have a lot to do before they can move in though, they need to buy furniture to fill the house, sort their mortgage and sort things like broadband, TV licence etc...

A few days later, Brian is in the kitchen making his morning coffee when Toby walks in while doing his tie, "Morning."

"Morning Toby. You off to work?" Brian grabs Toby travel cup off the draining board and makes him a coffee to go.

"Yes," He has just six months left of his apprenticeship then he'll join the Metropolitan police, "But I wanted to ask you something before I go?"

Brian has a feeling he knows what this is, "Ask away."

------

Five days before valentines day and Toby and Alyssia receive the key to move into their new home. With Brian's car, Anita's, Alyssia's and Toby's to hand, they only needed a rent a van for the big furniture items. Roger happily volunteered to drive said van.

The move involved four trips over two days. Day one was a trip from the May house in Surrey, collecting all Alyssia's things and furniture. Then a second trip is from the May home in London collecting everything else that belongs to Alyssia, leaving only her bed to sleep in that night.

Day two was a trip from Toby's Grandma's collecting all Toby's things and furniture. Then the last trip is from the storage unit they rented to store anything they brought for the house in the last month.

Toby and Alyssia spend one last night at the May home in London, then the next day, day three, they're at the house sorting where everything needs to go.

Jimmy joins them to help move furniture, they go room by room. Jimmy and Toby carry furniture up the stairs into the right rooms, Brian and Roger assembling the furniture then Anita and Alyssia sorting the boxes once each room at the right furniture in.

One thing they were thankfully for is they didn't need to do any decorating before moving in. They'll decorate the rooms to their liking in time, but nothing needed doing right away, except the nursery. The nursery room is the only room in the house that will be left empty until they need it.

It was a very long, taxing day but they get all of the furniture done and a good chunk of the boxes emptied. The only rooms completely unboxed that day is Toby and Alyssia's bedroom and the kitchen so they can at least eat.

With no desire to cook or go and do a food shop after a full day's work, they order a takeaway which Roger kindly pays for as a congratulations on your new home.