Prolongue

Monday, 9:30 a.m.

Dahyun was focused on the physics exercise in her notebook. Even though Ms. Bae, the teacher, had just assigned the homework and left, she was aware that some assignments that were already waiting for her at home would not allow her to complete that one on time.

Everyone else in her class was minding their own business, most of them chatting or just making a fuss about little things. Actually, Dahyun wasn't close to anyone, even though she was starting her second year at Seoul International High School.

Seoul International High School, the most 'prestigious' school in South Korea, and also one of the most expensive ones. Not to mention the right of admissions they reserved. There you can find children of famous singers to nephews of the president, not everyone was allowed to attend that high school.

After applying for a scholarship due to her good grades, Dahyun had to pass a three-hour long written exam, and one of the requirements to keep the scholarship was to keep her grades above 9. Quick note, scholarship students were almost non-existent in this high school, so she was one of a kind. That's the reason why she was fully focused on her homework. 

Well, that was until an unknown presence took a seat in front of her. Dahyun cautiously looked up, meeting a smiling face. Long orange-ish hair, a pale face, and big round eyes. 

"Hi, my name is Ryung, Park Ryung," said the smiley girl as she extended her hand to Dahyun in greeting. Dahyun looked at her for a moment, remembering that she was the girl the teacher had introduced at the beginning of class.

"Hi, I'm Kang Dahyun," said the brunette in a quieter tone while giving Ryung the awkwardest handshake ever. 

To be honest, social interactions weren't her thing. Maybe because most of the people here didn't care about her, but about her family background instead. 

What kind of company do your parents run? Are you the only heir? What country did you visit last winter break? Have you never been to Paris? 

Dahyun was kind of sick and tired of that type of conversation, so she decided to avoid any sort of conversation at all. It was much easier that way.

"Why are you doing homework on your own?" Ryung asked. 

It was true, no one else didn't even have books on their desk. It was break time, so everyone was taking their time to relax.

"Uhm, I have some other assignments to do after class, so I'm trying to get this one done as soon as possible," Dahyun explained, trying to focus on her notebook again.

"Oh. Cool," complimented the orange-ish-haired girl. "So-" Ryung started but was interrupted by Dahyun's voice.

"Listen, hmm, I do not want to sound rude, but I think you didn't choose the right person to be friends with. I'm kind of a boring person. Most of the time I have no topic in mind to start a conversation, I just sit here and do my assignments. After class, sometimes I just go to the library and then straight back to my house. None of my relatives run a big company, no singers or actors either, just middle-class people. Nothing really special," Dahyun said staring at her notebook. She decided to look at the girl to say the last thing. "Sorry for wasting your time".

After returning her gaze to her notebook, she felt the girl get up and return to her seat. Dahyun sighed and returned her mind to solving the exercise. However, not even fifteen seconds had passed when she felt the girl take a seat in front of her again.

"Do you want some?" Ryung asked opening a Tupperware with cookies. "I baked them myself," smiled.

"Huh?" Responded Dahyun, pretty confused, making Ryung let out a small laugh.