49.

Donghyuck let out a sigh while he was getting out of his car. His eyes fixed on the big construction in front of him, his hands started sweating cold while an uncomfortable feeling invaded his chest.

He didn't want to be there.

He didn't want to face his fears. 

He simply wanted to run away.

But that wasn't an option anymore. He was conscious he couldn't escape forever.

After having a deep talk with Dahyun and showing himself, his fears and hidden traumas, both agreed that the best option for him was to go back home. He wasn't fond of the idea at first but deep inside he knew it was for the best.

He approached the main entrance with heavy steps, feeling how his heartbeat increased with every step. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door, not feeling ready at all to deal with what was inside.

Once he was inside the house, with his eyes closed, he was able to feel the cold environment, exactly what he was expecting. Nevertheless, just a second before he could open his eyes, a warm embrace surrounded his body.

"Hyuck! Oh my, you're fine!" 

Opening his eyes, Haechan found the sight of his older sister holding his body as if she let go, he would disappear. Right in front of them, just some steps forward was Doyoung, watching the scene with his lips forming a fine line and his arms crossed across his chest. The younger searched for at least a bit of anger in his eyes, but instead, he found melancholy and empathy.

Well, that wasn't what he was waiting for at all. He was expecting to be scolded big time for his irresponsibility and immaturity. Not being hugged.

Dohee leaned away, now standing in front of her younger brother, looking up straight into his eyes in a tender way. After a few seconds, she spoke.

"Where the hell were you?!" She exclaimed, smacking his arm a couple of times.

There it was.

"Ah! Noona, it hurts!"

"Well, I'm glad it does, you jerk! How the hell you thought-"

"Okay, I think he already understood," Doyoung said, intervening before his wife could injure her younger brother. Standing behind her, he placed his hands on his wife's forearms and started rubbing them carefully. 

"You think?" Dohee gritted, looking furiously at Haechan, who just gulped and remained silent.

Doyoung whispered something to his wife's ear while Haechan stood there, head down and playing with the ring on his finger. 

After hearing a heavy sigh, Haechan decided to look at his sister. 

"Go, get change and, then come, we will be at the kitchen preparing dinner."

Haechan simply nodded. He couldn't avoid feeling small in front of his sister, she had seen him grow up, and he couldn't act up or fake anything. 

Doyoung and Dohee turned in the direction of the kitchen, indirectly finishing the conversation.

"What about her?" Haechan's weak tone was heard, almost like a whisper, but loud enough to stop the couple's steps. "W-where is she?"

Dohee turned, looking at his brother. His face showed concern, uncertainty, and, deep down, fear.

"Just do as I said and we will get to that later, okay?"

🌻

Not many minutes passed when Haechan entered the kitchen with a more comfortable and homely look, contrasting the skinny jeans and the leather jacket he was previously wearing.