23.

Everyone was seated on the floor around the table.

Haechan sat down on one end of the table, Dahyun and Jiyu sat down on one side, while, Dahyun's mom and Dahyun's dad were on the other side. Even when Haechan kindly refused to take that place, which was usually used by the father of the house, Mr. Kang replied that wasn't a big deal.

During the whole dinner, Haechan could feel Jiyu's gaze piercing his soul. She was obviously not happy with his presence.

"Gosh, I'm bringing Jaemin next time," he thought, trying not to look intimidated by the girl's gaze.

Dahyun was quite uncomfortable too. She stared at the boy sideways, wondering what he was thinking about.

"I'm sure it's not like the delicacies you're used to but it's cooked with love," Dahyun's mom said, uncovering the pot.

"No, no, it smells amazing, Mrs. Kang, I'm pretty sure it's delicious," he answered politely, making Mrs. Kang smile.

There were indeed fewer side dishes he was used to, it wasn't the same fine vibe the employees tried to make when his mother was home, but somehow it felt better.

Haechan caught the sight of Dahyun's dad trying to serve him a plate, which made him react naturally.

"No, please, allow me," he said, taking a plate and serving the elder instead.

Dahyun's mom looked at her and mouthed: "I like him," making the girl roll her eyes.

The dinner went smoothly, Haechan spend most of it quietly enjoying the family's dynamic. Everyone seemed so cheerful about sharing what happened on their day. It was so weird as well as fascinating for him to see that.

It wasn't like that at his house. Not anymore.

A six-year-old Donghyuck was sitting on the edge of his bed, with a few tears rolling down his face. A few moments earlier, his mom had grounded him for talking too much on the table, which, according to her, was annoying and not well mannered.

The sound of the door opening, made the boy look at the man whose head peaked. A little smile was drawn on his face.

"Daddy!" The kid exclaimed, happy to see his dad after a whole week. With small steps, the boy went to hug his dad."When did you arrive?"

"Just now," his dad, whose name was also Donghyuck, rubbed his son's back to reveal later a box of pizza that he was hiding behind his back, "and I found out that my son didn't have dinner, why?"

The boy looked down and a small pout was formed on his lips, losing his embrace.

"Mom said I talk too much, and that's not allowed while eating," he said with a low sad tone. His dad frowned and lead his son to his bed. Both were seated there, with the box in between.

"Well, that rule doesn't apply outside the living room, right?" His dad said, smiling at the boy, causing him to smile as well while nodding enthusiastically. "Alright! Let's eat then."

The little Donghyuck took a slice in his hands, at that moment his stomach growled. He was indeed hungry.

"Sorry," he apologized a little bit embarrassed.

"For what? I'm also starving!" His dad took also a slice and bite it. "Alright, son, how was your day? Didn't you tell me you had a project with Jeno? How was it?"