Chapter 1

January 26th 1985

January 26th 1985.

"Come on, hurry!"

"Slow down Twinette, I am going to have a heart attack at this rate if we keep running."

She would feel the sudden stop from behind her even without her looking. She watched the girl around her age, just a little bit shorter, bend over to reach for her inhaler as she struggled to catch her breath. She hurriedly turned to the little brick house a few kilometers away from them. She would hear the faint music that came the building, it was one of her favorites; Me and you by Eji Oyewole. She tapped her feet nervously, raising her fingers to her her lips and biting on her nail as she watched people hurry into the building.

"Why are we even in a hurry self?" She could hear her friend say behind her. It looked like she could speak now. "It's not as if the building is going to vanish into thin air in any minute."

She lowered her head and rolled her eyes.

"You know why."

The girl slowly raised herself, reaching for her tiny brown leather bag she had strapped across her shoulders and taking one last deep breath. It was a good thing she had just escaped an asthma attack. She dropped her inhaler in, taking her time.

"He is still going to be there. He's on night shift remember? The eatery doesn't close until eleven PM."

She turned to her at last, furrowing her brows with a huge frown on her face. Her friend didn't have to take a good look to know that she was getting really anxious. She drew an exasperated breath and raised her round glasses up her nose bridge so she could see her clearly, her cheeks reddening already.

"You know we have to get in early or we won't get a place to sit." She exhaled weakly "you know what I mean." She said

She watched how her friend looked at her. It was obvious she had a lot to say but was merely holding her tongue. Rolling her eyes she asked;

"What is it this time Adaego?"

"I was just wondering when we would stop this."

Antwinette furrowed her brows like she didn't understand what she meant.

"Stop what?"

"This." Her friend gestured to the building in front of them, "this," now she pointed at her, and then back at herself. "It has been four months, it has been all we have ever done since you got back from London, visit this old, haggard building, obsessing over some serving boy-"

"Randal, his name is Randal."

"Randal, Radson, it would make no difference to your father once he finds out that you have been lying to him, that you have been skipping your evening lessons for this, for a random local eatery server."

Antwinette rolled her eyes. It was the conversation again, the conversation she didn't want to have.

"Twinnette, what if someone recognizes you? What if one of your father's business partners sees us here? How do you explain this to him? My father would kill me if he finds out that I've been helping you sneak out to pursue a local champion-"