Chapter 23

The loud sound of thunder disrupted her thoughts

The loud sound of thunder disrupted her thoughts. Olivia turned to her window as she bore witness to the heavy rain outside. If there was anything worse than cats and dogs, that was what was happening at that moment. The splattering sound the rain made as it came in contact with the ground made it difficult for her or anyone to say anything to each other without raising their voices.

If Olivia thought there was any hopes to save the party, it was all gone, especially with all that heaven shower. She had to make sure to send the other kids home before it had started, and Benita and Lucy had to leave early too to prepare dinner for the twins so they didn't get caught in it.

It was just the rest of them now with a table filled with food and a cake Grace wasn't interested in cutting or even looking at.

Olivia turned to the couch in front of the window. She could see how Grace just knelt in it, her hands folded right on top of it while her teary eyes wandered away in the rain. She was just lost in the sight in front of her, wondering why her day had to be ruined and sobbing loudly too. It was how she had been since the rain had started, and she wouldn't stop crying no matter how much they tried to be a comfort to her. She refused to talk to anyone too.

It had to be her worst birthday ever, probably even worse than what she ever got at the Silvers, at least that was what Olivia thought, and she couldn't help but feel saddened by it. She slowly dropped the empty plate on the table while Tony and Amy helped her arrange it for dinner.

Embarrassment.

She had felt a lot of it and didn't know what to do. Olivia let out a tired breath as she felt every ounce of energy leave her while she slowly made her way to Grace. Her legs were trembling literally and her mind was clouded too. She had probably not felt so miserable in a while.

"Grace? Baby?" She called her managed to find a sitting spot close to her. Grace didn't move, she didn't take her eyes from the window and she definitely didn't stop crying either. Olivia could feel her heart cluster and break apart each time she found trail of tears rolling down her face. She slowly reached for her little hands.

"Is there anything that I can do to make you feel better?" Now she had to ask her. "Mummy doesn't like to see you this way, my heart is breaking watching you like this."

Grace slowly looked away from the window and buried her eyes on their joined hands while Olivia raised one hand to her face and slowly started to wipe away her tears from it.

"I'm sorry that mummy didn't do her best, that I wasn't able to give you the perfect birthday you had asked for. I should have done better, I should have made sure," she exhaled. "but I promise you, I'm going to do everything that I can to make it up to you."

She said as Grace kept sobbing, whimpering and sniffing while more trails of tears dropped from her face. She was hurt, really hurt and Olivia didn't know how to help her. Olivia let out a weak breath as she watched Grace struggle to catch her breath. She watched how her baby girl fought so hard to have the littlest light of hope lighten up her face again. It was obvious that she didn't want Olivia to worry. She didn't want Olivia to also feel sad by what happened.