Chapter 8

Two weeks later

Two weeks later

"I still can't believe that your father wants you to get married to Okezie. I wake up every day and wonder if my ears failed me the day you told me about it."

Sommadina exhaled at the sound of Adaego's voice, following her all the way to her car. She was grateful for having a friend like Adaego. It was like there was no one left to talk to when it came to things about her and her family. She knew she needed all the support that she could get from people that understood her.

"Hmmm." She exhaled. "My dear, I'm not sure that I understand my father, or everyone else in my life right now. It's almost as if everyone is tired of me and can't wait to get rid of me."

"Is this still about your father or are we talking about someone else perhaps? Richard?"

She turned to face Adaego.

"It's Randal."

Adaego rolled her eyes. She was never going to get used to the correct pronunciation of his name. She just hoped Sommadina accepted it instead of always correcting her. Sommadina exhaled.

"He still has not talked to you since- you know?"

Sommadina didn't know what to say. Even admitting the truth to her supposedly best friend was embarrassing. She was ashamed of how things had ended even before they had started with Randy, ashamed of how it almost looked like she never existed to him. How he always did all he could to avoid her the past two weeks.

"My friend, I still don't see what it is you see in that boy. I really think you should listen to your father and just get married to Okezie." Sommadina looked at her and frowned while they walked towards her car. "I know Okezie is irresponsible but at least he likes you and cares about you unlike you-know-who. It's just been two weeks and look at how sick you look."

Now she was referring to the fact that Sommadina looked so pale, it was not hard to see. A lot had happened the past few days so it was normal for anyone who had been through what she was going through to be sick of it. The morning sickness was taking a toll on her not to talk of the regular urge to vomit everytime she smelt food.

"We talked about this Adaego. I would never get married to Okezie. It doesn't matter how many times father asks you to try to convince me, my answer is always going to be the same. The only reason I'm still here and not in London is because Dad still needs me. His health has taken a turn for the worse."

Adaego let out a weak exhale as they got to the car. She was ashamed that she had been caught already.

"What are the doctors saying?" She asked her. "Are they saying he's going to get better?"

"It's high blood pressure, the only way he's going to be better is by regulating his pressure and reducing his stress level." She exhaled, "I really feel bad for my father you know, if only he had someone to take care of him like mother did, maybe he wouldn't be so sick."