Chapter 44

"So what are you going to do now? Are you really going to leave?"

Olivia slowly turned to take one last look at Grace. For some reason, she needed to be sure that she was properly tucked in and wasn't feeling uncomfortable or in pain.

She was sleeping like a baby. As a matter of fact, Olivia couldn't imagine how Grace had taken all of what had happened in, more than she did. She had gone back to smiling in less than twenty minutes after she had been hit.

Olivia let out a weak sigh and turned around again, making sure to leave her phone firm on her ear so she didn't miss a word Amy said.

"I don't know Amy." She said. "That seems like the most reasonable choice right now. I think it's what's good for everyone, for Grace, and for Rafael. It's bad enough that everyone sees him as a bad son for going against his father, the last thing I want is putting him on a rough side with his mother as well. I don't want to do that to him."

"Well, have you guys talked about it? If you need to leave his house again, I think he should know about it."

"I would tell him, that's for a fact. Maybe when I've got somewhere?"

"Um, about that, do you have anywhere in mind? Kubwa? Dutse? Apo?"

Olivia rubbed her arm gently just to spread heat around it. It was suddenly very chilly in there or was it just the thought of leaving that made her that cold?

"Anywhere is fine, as long as it's breathable, and it's a good place for Grace to start over, far away from all of this, far away from anyone that might want to hurt her."

She could hear Amy's loud exhale from over the phone.

"You know Amy, all Grace has known all her life is pain and neglect by the people she has called family. She sees a light in everyone and has high hopes in everyone. I know she's a child and it's okay for children to be that way, but a part of me wishes she could learn to see that not everyone has her best interest at heart. I need her to understand how unfair and crazy the world is and yet, I hope she can get to live without holding on to any grudges from our past. I'd like to give my children a life only surrounded by all the love the world has to offer and to think that there was a point in Grace's life where she was deprived of all of that love, where she was constantly abused by Victoria and now, Sommadina, people who she believed were supposed to love and care for her, I don't want her to live like that Amy."

"Oh dear cousin, your story is honestly so sad and I really don't know how else I can help, even though I wanted to. The least I could do is send an Agent your way. He's really good at house hunting and real estate and he has his eyes and ears everywhere. I'm sure if you told him what kind of apartment you're looking for, he would be able to pull something up."

Olivia nodded. That was enough for her.
She didn't need anything else but the assurance that Amy had just given to her. She was going to be good on her own. She had worked for a while and had savings too. Enough to take care of her, Amy and the baby.