Chapter 17

"Is she really going to do it? Is it true that she's really suing Randoil and the chairman?"

It was the same subject over and over again. Somehow, every staff at Everyday news never lost interest in starting a gossip about her situation every day. It was barely noon yet and there they were, in the middle of preparing for a live broadcast, talking about it again.

"I guess so, I mean there was a statement. I even heard that Rafael Okonkwo would be in charge of the case, against his father." The second woman told the rest of them as they listened to her attentively.

"I don't understand, I thought she had an affair with his son? Is she really making him go against his father? Is he really going to fight his father and throw him in jail because of a woman?" One of them responded, with a sound of disgust in her voice.

"I thought the apapa case happened a long time ago, and they already found the culprit?"

"Hmm, apparently, the man they threw in jail isn't the real culprit."

"Are you saying the chairman framed someone else and made him spend 17 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit?"

"I doubt that he didn't commit it." The first woman said. "Come on, we've seen how the chairman is with people, he has saved hundreds of lives and sponsored the treatment of several sick people single-handedly. We all know how much of a giver he is, do we really think he's capable of doing something so terrible?" She bit her lip and leaned closer to the small circle of women. "I think this is an intentional ploy to bring the Okonkwos down, to bring the chairman down, manipulation."

"Bring him down?" The second lady asked with concern all over her face. "Why would she do that? Isn't she engaged to his son? Rafael? The rich lawyer?"

"I heard a rumor from someone I know whose cousin works at the Okonkwo mansion, I heard that the chairman was never in support of her relationship with his son. I'm guessing that is why she's trying so hard to turn his son against him. Apparently, Rafael is head over heels for her and would do anything she asks him to."

"Are you sure it's not juju?" One of them said. "Are you guys sure she doesn't have him under some spell? What's that word again, that thing those women sell online.....kayamata? Spells for men."

"You think she's using kayamata on Rafael Okonkwo?"

"Of course!" The first said with certainty in her voice. "I mean, look at all the sacrifices he's making for her, even went as far as buying her the company because she asked for it, and he is even playing the role of a father to her daughter. Why else would he be doing all of this? It makes no sense, why would he turn against his father and want to put him in jail if he wasn't under her spell?"

One of the women gasped and snapped her fingers at the realization that there might have been some truth in what the lady had said.

"Oh my goodness, you're right! I heard these charms work so well. I know someone that is using it on this business man, he got her a house recently. I heard that women use it these days to put men under their control, make them do whatever it is they want. Oh my god, you think the director is someone who would do something like that?"