Chapter 73

Rafael scurried down the hallway leading to the children's ward of the hospital as fast as his legs could take him, letting out a sigh of relief the moment he had spotted Matthew standing in front of one of the rooms with a doctor

Rafael scurried down the hallway leading to the children's ward of the hospital as fast as his legs could take him, letting out a sigh of relief the moment he had spotted Matthew standing in front of one of the rooms with a doctor. Their poise was just enough to tell him what he needed to know. That had to be the room Matthew had talked about when he called Rafael.

Rafael could barely remember a thing he was doing before he got his call. Nothing else mattered after he had heard him talk about how a random car had dropped a child in front of St. Agnes' hospital earlier that day, and then zoomed off. The moment the police had identified the child to be Grace, everything else became history to him and he had left them all to be at the hospital at that moment.

He could hear them clearly as he got closer to the door and they suddenly became really quiet when he approached them.

"Brother."

Rafael reached for Matthew's arm and gave it a tight squeeze, turning to the door immediately like it was see-through.

"Is this it? Is she here?" He turned back to Matthew as quick as he could like he was waiting for some form of confirmation before he walked in. He turned to the doctor too.
"I am here for Grace Kalu, s-she was brought here last night, she's about eight years old, this size," he gestured Grace's height with his hands, comparing it with his, hoping that the doctor figured who it was from the way he had described her.

Rafael watched the middle aged man turn to him, rather clueless of the situation. He slowly turned back to Matthew and was about to speak when-

"He's the patient's guardian," Mathew assured him. "He's her family."

"I see."

Mathew inhaled and turned to a rather anxious Rafael who still wondered what was going on and why no one was responding to any of his questions. He turned to Matthew.

"Grace is inside." Matthew told him. "She is still shaken and seems traumatized by what happened. The doctors placed her on fluid replacement to help her regain all the fluids she lost."

"We initially placed her in the intensive care unit for a couple of hours to regulate her health." Rafael turned to the little man that spoke.

"When the nurses found her, she was dehydrated and could barely talk or move. Luckily for us, she was brought here before the situation got even worse than it already was."

Rafael nodded.

"Can I see her?"

The man turned to the door and thought for a while right before he turned back to him.

"Well, she's probably asleep at the moment but l don't see why not. I would ask that you are conscious of your approach and what you say to say so as not to get her agitated."

"Thank you." Rafael said to the doctor and then turned to Matthew. "Thank you."

Mathew nodded and let out a warm smile that encouraged Rafael turned to the door and hold his breath for a moment. He was nervous even as he reached for the door knob. It was almost as if he was scared to walk in, he was scared to meet the image of Grace that he was going to see the moment he did.