Chapter 34

The doctor's voice was inaudible

Grace turned to the hallway, barely bothering to listen to everything she said as she left her gaze on Rafael, watching him say some things she could also barely hear to Kenneth.

She could not forget what had happened earlier to her and her mother but what was worse, she couldn't forget how hurt Rafael was when he came to save them.  She remembered how Rafael and Olivia had had a long conversation before they got to the hospital, she remembered how Olivia insisted while he refuted and insisted that she saw a doctor first.

Grace could also remember how many times Olivia had reminded all of them that she was fine and didn't need to be attended to by the doctors. All Amy got her were bandaids for the cuts on her arm, and painkillers to help with the pain from the bruises on her knees and arm. All Olivia really cared about was making sure Grace was back in school with the rest of her mates the next day. She had to get the school what they had asked for and delaying an extra day wasn't an option.

"Grace?" Olivia reached for her arm gently just as Grace slowly raised her head to her, her eyes extremely bright but clouded with fear. She clenched on to her Giraffe doll tightly and looked into Olivia's eyes.

"Mummy? I'm scared." She finally said.

If she didn't mind being at the hospital before, Grace was beginning to show her fright now especially after everything that had unfolded before her eyes.  She was terrified of everything and everyone, and she didn't want to be in that room if Olivia wasn't there with her.

"But why Grace?" Olivia asked her, leaning closer towards her. "Are you scared that it's going to hurt?"

Grace exhaled weakly just as Rafael quickly started to find his way towards them while Kingsley walked away from the hallway.

"You don't have anything to be afraid of Grace." She slowly turned to the petite woman in a white coat. Grace knew exactly who it was, she could tell it was her doctor, the one that was going to help her according to Olivia. "I am not like other doctors in the hospital, we would not be using any needles or scary equipments, I just want you to tell me about yourself and the things you like, that's all."

Grace slowly turned to Olivia like she was hoping for her confirmation of what the doctor had said.

"You heard the doctor baby, the examination is just to make sure that you're fit to go back to school tomorrow. You'd like to be back in school and with your friends wouldn't you?"

Grace nodded slowly. Rafael squatted in front of her and she slowly turned to him.

"Hey Kiddo."

"Hello God father," she said in the lowest uninterested tone Rafael had ever heard from her. He slowly reached for her other arm and gave it a gentle squeeze.

"You remember what we talked about don't you?" He asked her. Grace hesitated for a while and then nodded. "And you know that as long as I'm here, I'm never going to let anyone hurt you, don't you?"