Chapter 3

He puffed a lot of air in his mouth as he rubbed his sweaty palms on his bogus trousers

He puffed a lot of air in his mouth as he rubbed his sweaty palms on his bogus trousers. It had been exactly thirty minutes since he was asked to wait outside the office for his interview and Randy couldn't hide how tensed he was. How could he? He was about to get a job, a real job. He had never been given such an opportunity all his life. He didn't know the first thing to do, the right things to say.

"Just be yourself and I promise, he's going to love you."

He could remember her words to him the day before, at the garden they had met for their regular afternoon book reading marathon. It was in the same garden, and at the same time she had shown him the new sets of shirts she had got him for work. He remembered how shocked he was when she showed them to him, it looked just like the ones he always saw on those big big men that used to stop by the food shop to eat before. He never owned a shirt, a new one as at that. He never imagined that he would ever get a chance to even wear one and so when she first told him about the position, he was skeptical about it at first.

Why him? How on earth could a university dropout be considered for such a position at one of the most prestigious companies in the state? He had nothing to offer, he had no qualifications and the only ideas he ever knew about businesses were from the books he read, the same books she borrowed him.

He knew very well that he didn't stand a chance and a huge part of him wanted to turn down the offer when she told him about it but he had thought again, he had thought about how much he needed the job. Even if there was a slim chance that he was going to get it, he knew he had to try. Not like Sommadinah gave him a choice, for some reason, she had this sense of payback and responsibility towards him that he could not explain. He remembered how much he had told her that he did not blame her for being fired from the food shop but she never listened. It was like the more he tried to convince her, the more she felt sorry for him and made him her responsibility.

He drew a deep breath, tapping his feet noisily on the ground. He was nervous. He exhaled loudly, gripping on tightly to the plastic and almost empty file he had in his hands.

"Randy?"

His attention moved from the door immediately he heard someone call his name from behind him in the corridor. Even though he could already recognize her voice, Randal thought to look towards her direction as she walked briskly towards him with what looked like a small bag in her hand. She had a huge smile on her face, and it grew even brighter with every step she took towards him.

She came.

He didn't think she would make it. From what he knew about her, she always took afternoon lessons to prepare her for her upcoming examinations, but he had forgotten what exam it was. She let out a relief sigh the moment she got close enough to him.

"Thank God I came early." She said while she tried to catch her breath at the same time. "Is it time yet?"

"Erm-" he turned back to the door in confusion and was about to say something when-