Chapter 54

Buzz!

Buzz!

The gentle buzz sound stopped the moment the door locked after him.

The entire house felt so lonely, so cold, so empty and he was back to feeling it again, the unending sadness, the guilt, the pain. It had been about eight hours since he had stormed out of the house and Rafael still felt the same way, he felt like he needed to breathe.

A lot had happened throughout the day and he just couldn't find a way to wrap his head around it but he was a bit calmer, ashamed of his initial outburst, but calmer.

He found his way down the almost dark and quiet hallway, making his way to his room, while he let his eyes wander in the direction of the living room. The lights in it were still on and he could only help but wander who it was that had not slept yet.

He let himself find his way towards the large room, his footsteps approaching it quietly too. He froze when he got into the room, letting his gaze settle on Olivia's figure lying so peacefully on the couch.

Olivia wasn't sure she remembered much but her body had ached from cleaning the entire office and Benita's blood from the hallway. She had also made dinner and retired to wait for Rafael in the living room where she fell asleep from waiting for so long.

He could feel his heart go heavy as he took further steps into the house. It saddened him to think that he had caused her to worry all day and he wished he didn't, he wished he hadn't just taken off when he did but he couldn't have helped himself.

Rafael slowly sat beside her on the long couch, keeping his gaze on her, raising the blanket she had wrapped over her body so it covered her shoulders too.

It was the most peaceful he had ever seen her. He couldn't help but feel for her. A lot of thoughts had suddenly began to fill his head, thought about her, thought of how much of her life had been ruined because of his family. He knew everything, he knew all the bad details and ordeal she had been put through since the accident. He had represented her in court almost two years ago when she was accused of killing her ex husband. She spent six years in prison for a crime she did not commit, and it all started with him, it all started with his family.

He didn't deserve her, everyone thought it was the other way around, everyone thought she was less deserving of him, that a woman like her didn't deserve his graces but it wasn't that way, it was him that was less deserving of her. His family ruined hers, his father did and he was still doing that until that very day.

He wanted to let her go, he wished that he could, at least that way, he could let her be free to be with someone else, to experience the happiness she deserved, the happiness he could never give to her because of his past, because of who he was, because he was the son of the man that had murdered her parents and subjected her to a life worse than death.

He didn't deserve to be happy, not after what he did, not after what his family did and he most certainly didn't deserve her. Rafael had just thought about how selfish he had been. All along, he had fought to keep her by his side, to take things back to how they were but nothing was ever going to go back to normal. He had just realized how unfair his persistency was to her, how hurt she must have felt to always see him, to always come face to face with the direct offspring of her parent's killer. Being with him meant that she was always going to be in his family's lives. She was always going to come face to face with Randal, and have Sommadina blame her for trying to tear her family apart. Being with him meant she was going to have to see more people like Benita get hurt, and what was worse, get hurt herself and that was something he was never going to take. It was something he could never tolerate. He knew that he would rather die than watch her get hurt and the thought that she could be next frightened him.