Chapter 59

Ivory counted her footsteps in her head as she walked further into her hotel room

Ivory counted her footsteps in her head as she walked further into her hotel room. It was raining cats and dogs outside and lodging in a hotel room seemed to be a safer option, the only option available to them since they had spent a big part of the day writing statements at the police station.

The day had turned out terrible for Ivory. She couldn't imagine how terrifying it must have been for Olivia. She could barely hear the splattering sound of the rain outside but she got cold each time she thought of it.

Rains weren't exactly her thing. She hated the rain. With her, rains were a bad omen. They always reminded her of things she didn't want to remember, not like it was worse than feeling his shadow follow her into the room, keeping the same distance away from her as he did as they found their way to the penthouse.

She didn't know how but she could feel his gaze on her even though she had not turned to look at him one time. It was better that way. She liked the fact that she wasn't alone, she liked the fact that he was there with her, even though he had barely said a word to her on their way to the hotel. She just loved having him that close but she knew the moment she showed her excitement, the moment she turned to start a conversation with him, she was going to probably tick him off and cause him to change his mind about walking her in.

She clenched her fists and shut her eyes each time she imagined the rumbling thunder sounds, it got worse when she actually heard them. She was frightened, and even more frightened at the thought of being alone after what had happened.

"There."

She turned immediately she heard his voice from behind her. He had stopped walking and was standing a few paces in front of the door with his sleeved rolled up his arm. He rubbed his hands together as he kept his gaze on her.

"It looks comfortable enough," he said. "Just make sure the windows stay closed and the heater stays on until the morning. I know it's nothing compared to what you're used to, but it's a good thing we got nine AM flights back home."

She didn't know how but she could find herself forcing a smile on her face as she listened to him, hoping he didn't take notice of the fear in her eyes. Ivory took a deep breath in, forcing all the courage she could find into her heart to ask the question she needed to.

"It's been a long day," he went on, after noticing that she was probably going to be mute for a long time. "You're safe now. The police would keep that criminal in custody until we get him to give up information regarding who he works for." Tony paused for a second, watching the look in her eyes.

He could see how sad they suddenly became and could already tell the reason why. He was her father, knowing that he had sent someone to hurt her and Olivia must have scared her a lot, embarrassed her a lot.

He didn't want to make it into what it was not. Twelve years ago he would have consoled her, or at least cared to but he was holding back now. He wasn't sure he was ready to be that way with her yet. He inhaled sharply and took his hands out of his pockets to rub them together.