Chapter 5

Two weeks later

Two weeks later.
February 14th 1985

"What did you just say to me?"

Even with all the strength leaving her, even with the roaring sound of thunder accompanied by the loud sound of rain as it fell from the skies, Sommadina made sure that those words were clear as crystal to her father. She had her fist clenched, disbelief written all over her face as she glared at him, not sure whether to believe what she had heard or not.

"Did you not hear me the first time?" He answered her right back, his hoarse voice overshadowing hers.

"Daddy!"

She turned to the table in front of them slowly to take in the sight of Randy who had immediately froze after hearing what Obinna had said just like she had.

Did he hear that too? Was he shocked?

She could see how his hands trembled from where he stood, bending over to continue sorting the documents that were littered on the table as he was instructed to.

Anyone that didn't know would never have thought that he was a new recruit at the company. He managed to blend in so perfectly and he was good at his job as the assistant secretary of Obinna. He swallowed hard the moment he raised his head to Sommadina and watched her look away immediately. She was still not talking to him after what had happened the other day.

After meeting Angela, a lot had changed between them. They were not as close as they used to be. She made sure to avoid him because she was scared of letting him explain the situation to her. She was scared of hearing the truth about who Angela was to him, she was scared of him asking her to move on, of hearing from him that he was in love with someone else. She knew she rather spent the rest of her life avoiding him and holding back her feelings than hear him reject her himself.

No matter how many letters he wrote, and how many times he tried to get her to talk to him, all his efforts were fruitless. It was almost as if she wanted nothing to do with him anymore and it bothered him just as much as the conversation she was now having with her father.

"There is no point in arguing about this. The Nnamas have already gone ahead to pay your bride price and our families have fixed the most convenient date for your traditional wedding. You are to wed Okezie in two weeks and that is final."

Randal held his breath and went back to arranging the sheets slowly once again, doing all he could to fight the urge to interfere or look up.

"Okezie?" She asked him, raising her voice as loud as she could as the thunder got even louder "did you just say Okezie? The same Okezie that is known all around town to be a womanizer, woman beater and drug addict?"

"No man is perfect, as a woman you should know that there is no such thing as a perfect man or a perfect husband. People change and we have reasons to believe that Okezie has too. He has shown great seriousness and desire to have you as his wife over the years and you have shown no interest in bringing any other reputable man as your future husband to me. I don't see any reason to refuse his request. You're not getting any younger after all."