Chapter 49

The journey back home was rather a quiet one

Olivia couldn't take her mind off the things she had heard Randal say. She couldn't forget his mention of what had happened to her parents that night either. She could remember the pride in his voice as he noted his accomplishments. He didn't regret it, he didn't even deny it. He acknowledged what he had done right in front of her without the littlest remorse.

Her heart was heavy and she hated herself even more for being unable to talk or express herself the way she wished she did. She hated how easily speechless she was, she hated how weak she was. Her inability to randomly defend herself when the situation called for it upset her a great deal. It was what a life long cycle of abuse did to her. It made her awfully silent in situations that needed her reaction. It made her foolishly understanding too.

She couldn't hear it but she could imagine how Rafael's heart must have been racing with anger and frustration throughout the entire journey. She could also imagine how embarrassed he must have been to face her. He had really wanted her and Ivory to get along with each other, he had made a lot of effort to make sure he was available that evening to take her out on a dinner date with his sister, to show her the side of his family he never got the chance to. It was a shame that Randal had to ruin the moment, he always did.

It was the longest they had gone without talking to each other in the same space. Kenneth was worried and it didn't matter how he tried to keep his attention focused on the road, he couldn't help but watch them both from the rear view mirror each time he had the chance to.

Olivia slowly turned to Rafael and watched how he left his gaze on the window, pulling his tie from being too close to his neck in frustration. He couldn't even bring himself to look at her after everything his father had said, after hearing his father brag about murdering hers to protect their family. The only moment he flinched was at the vibrating sound of his phone.

Olivia looked away while he slowly buried his head to reach for it on the space between them. He raised it up just so he could see the caller on it.

Tony's name was right on it.
He wasn't sure that was the right time to speak to anyone yet but it was Tony, and it was really hard to ignore Tony. If he tried to, he was going to keep calling until he picked if it was an emergency.

He pushed the answer button and raised his phone to his right ear. He cleared his throat and placed two fingers at the side of his nose bridge and rubbed gently.

"Tony." He said right before he noticed how loud his background was, not too loud anyway since he could hear Tony clearly. He turned to Olivia immediately and took a good look at her while he listened to everything Tony said.

"Oh, I forgot that that was today."

Tony had just reminded him about Sam's birthday party that was also happening that evening. Rafael couldn't believe that he had forgotten about it too. That could explain why Tony didn't show up at Ivory's house earlier.