Chapter 20; Left behind

*Author's note*

Now this is where things start to get a bit–freaky. Hela is going to experience some demonic possession so if that frightens or triggers you THIS IS YOUR WARNING. The next two chapters deal with possession themes and exorcisms. Now for those who wish to stick around, enjoy these next couple of chapters because the next one will conclude the Desolation of Smaug section of this story leaving us with the Battle of the Five Armies.

____________________________________________________________________

Early the next morning all of Laketown gathered around to see us sail off for Erebor. Well almost everyone was here.

"You do know we're one short, where's Bofur?" Bilbo asked.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin stated without a second thought.

"We'll have to." Balin agreed grimly. "If we're to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays." As sad as it is to say he's right. If they want to reach the mountain we have to go now. There won't be another chance to get into the mountain, not when we're so close to it.

I was just about to get into the boat when a hand stopped me.

"Not you." Thorin told me. I turned to the dwarf with an offensive look on my face.

"Pardon?"

"We must travel at speed, you will slow us down."

"What are you talking about? I'm coming with you." I told him.

"No, you're not." The look in his eye was firm telling me, no ordering me to stay behind.

"Thorin Oakenshield, I have given my life to protect you and your house throughout this journey. I've already lost a good friend to dragon fire once, if anything happens to you—"

"You've done more than your fair share for my company Hela. Rest. Join us when you're well." Thorin placed a hand on my arm giving it a firm squeeze before bowing his head to me and turning away from me. My body shook as I fell to my knees and felt my head pounding even worse than it has been.

"I'll stay with the lass, my duty is with the wounded." Oin said as he got out of the boat and walked towards me.

"Uncle," Fili started. "Hela has walked this world for thousands of years all on her own. Forced to see her kinsmen as frozen statues every day. Until we gave her hope on what it's like to be a part of a family again."

"Fili's right Thorin. At first it may have just been a duty to her but now she's become more than just a part of this company. She's become like family to all of us. You can't just toss her aside like that!"

"Fili, Kili don't." I reasoned with them. However the young dwarven princes were stubborn as they both said in unison.

"We will carry her if we must!"

"One day Fili, you will be king and you will understand. And should anything happen to your brother on the rest of the journey, it will be you Kili who takes the throne. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of a Celestial. Friend or not." I was struck with another splitting headache as the dark whispers kept shouting at me.

I pressed my hand to my head trying to hold off the pain as Oin came up to me but I tried to assure him I was okay.

*3rd Person POV*

As Fili and Kili looked at Hela who looked so unwell. Her eyes so sunken in it was like they were hollow, her hair that once seemed wild and lushes as a horse's mane, was now drenched in sweat and grease.