chapter one

❝ i'm twelve not dumb ❞

CARINA LET OUT A YAWN as she slumped back into her seat, she blinked up at Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan who were standing tall with their robes on and the hoods covering their face.

"Are missions always this boring?" the brunette curiously spoke up. Qui-Gon pursed his lips before glancing over at the trainee, "You will stay behind next time then."

Carina crossed her arms over her chest, "I'll stop talking now."

Silence fell over them as they continued to fly inside the Republic cruiser. The twelve year old child began to pick at her nails as the Jedi master spoke to the pilots, "Captain."

"Yes, sir?"

"Tell them we wish to board at once."

The captain looked over to view her screen, "With all due respect... the ambassadors for the supreme chancellor wish to board immediately."

Nute Gunray hesitantly nodded, "Yes, yes, of course. As you know, our blockade is perfectly legal... and we'd be happy to receive the ambassadors."

Carina stood close to Qui-Gon as the doors before them slid open leading the trio into the formal conference room where a droid addressed them, "We are greatly honoured by your visit, Ambassadors. Make yourselves comfortable. My master will be with you shortly."

Just as the droid exited the room, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon removed the hood from their robes as Carina glanced at their surroundings.

Obi-Wan pressed his lips into a firm line, "I have a bad feeling about this."

The Jedi knight gazed over at his padwan, "I don't sense anything." Carina slipped into a chair as she let out a heavy sigh, her stomach rumbled slightly from her hunger.

"It's not about the mission, Master, it's something... elsewhere... elusive." Obi-Wan trailed off as he glanced back at the young trainee.

Carina tapped her fingers on the table as Qui-Gon spoke, "Don't center on your anxieties, Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here and now where it belongs."

The teenage padawan clasped his hands together, "But Master Yoda says I should be mindful of the future."

Carina glanced over at Obi-Wan, "I'm almost positive it's all about balance."

Qui-Gon gave the girl an approving smile, "Correct, my trainee. It should not be at the expense of the moment." the Jedi master gazed at his other student, "Be mindful of the living Force, my young Padawan."

Obi-Wan nodded, "Yes, master."

Carina pursed her lips as she thought for a moment before speaking up, "Qui-Gon?"