chapter twenty

❝ there is never anything easy about grief

about grief. ❞

CARINA STOLE GLANCES AT the hidden battle droids in each small crevice as they treaded through the dungeons. Ahsoka blinked before gazing over at Anakin, "Master, you know you're walking us into a trap?"

"I know."

Carina held an unbothered expression as she let out a yawn, crossing her arms over her chest as she continued walking. Ahsoka gaped at the two Jedi Knights who seemed so at peace, not bothered at the slightest with the droids watching them.

"We just passed two more droids."

"I know."

Ahsoka let a sigh escape her parted lips, "Well, I don't like this. Can I just take care of them?" Anakin spared his padawan a look as he responded, "Oh, well, if you feel so strongly about it, go ahead."

Ahsoka glanced back at the moving battle droids, not wasting a moment as she quickly ignited her saber, slashing the robots blaster before cutting him down.

Carina watched with interest as the girl deflected a shot fired for it to hit the droid instead before spinning to slice the lingering droid in half.

Anakin hummed, "Not bad. You remembered to destroy their weapons first." Ahsoka grinned widely, "I'm improving your technique."

Carina extended out her hand, rattling echoing as a blaster flew right into her grasp as Anakin quickly slipped his saber out, stabbing his weapon through a hidden droid. Carina dropped the gun as Anakin gave his young apprentice a look, "Of course, you did miss one."

"I did that on purpose."

Carina and Anakin approached a closed off cell as Ahsoka caught up with the pair, "I sense our kidnapped Hutt is in here."

Ahsoka's nose scrunched up in disgust as she inhaled, "I smell him, too." Carina watched Anakin open the cell door, quirking up a brow as she watched the small Hutt whine and slither across the floor. Anakin hummed, "He's a lot younger than I thought he'd be."

Ahsoka looked at the Hutt with endearing eyes, "Oh, he's just a baby. This will make our job a lot easier." Carina crossed her arms over her chest, "I call not it for carrying him."

"Oh he's so cute."

"For now."

Ahsoka crouched down to inspect the small Hutt as Carina's comlink rang, "General Algora, the castle is secure, and it's nearly midday."

The brunette pursed her lips, "Thank you, Rex. We have the small Hutt. Any sign of General Kenobi?"

"No, Ma'am."

Ahsoka glanced up at Anakin who was near Carina, "Master, my Jedi training didn't prepare me for this. What are we gonna do?" The blonde Jedi gave the girl a look, "Well, since you think that smelly larva is cute, you're gonna carry it."