chapter twenty-seven

❝ memories only serve to hurt the heart

❝ memories only serve to hurt the heart. ❞

CARINA'S QUICK STEPS COULD BE heard echoing as she treaded through the Jedi temple, clenching her jaw as she didn't dare look at the ground where thousands of bodies laid.

Carina sucked in a sharp breath as limp younglings caught her eye, the brunette tightly pursed her lips before continuing, who could commit such horrors?

Carina entered the computer room, feeling relief flush through her as she caught sight of Yoda and Obi-Wan, "You two are alright."

Kenobi felt a small sense of peace settle in him upon seeing the brunette alive and well, he had been terrified of the thought that she had been among the killed Jedi, "Carina, good, I've just recalibrated the code warning all surviving Jedi to stay away."

Carina pursed her lips, "I heard rumors about the Jedi council turning on the Republic."

Yoda narrowed his eyes, "Lies, you were given. Whoever told you this, deceive your mind they wished to do."

Carina began to breath heavily as her lower lip trembled, the more she fought the truth, the more it was confirmed to be a reality. Obi-Wan studied the girls reaction, denial coursing through him as he turned, making his way towards the security footage.

"If into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find." Yoda told the Jedi. Obi-Wan nodded, sparing Carina a glance as he responded, "I must know the truth, Master."

Kenobi moved to the panels, flipping a switch as he moved through footage until he saw a hologram of Anakin slaughtering his way through younglings. Carina quietly gasped as she watched, unable to comprehend anything at that small moment.

Obi-Wan gaped at the footage, "It— it can't be."

Carina's expression was flushed with horror as she watched a cloaked person appear before Anakin as he kneeled before him, "The traitors have been taken care of, Lord Sidious."

"Good."

Carina felt the same chill run down her spine at the familiar voice, it being the one she heard echo in her mind a few hours ago, order 66 it had chanted.

"You have done well, my new apprentice. Do you feel your power growing?"

Anakin nodded, "Yes, my Master."

"Now, Lord Vader, now go and bring peace to the Empire."

Carina felt the world come to a stop as that name left Palpatine's lips, Vader, the same name she had been having nightmares about, her restless nights, all the voices warning her about a Darth Vader and how they would bring the end to the Republic, causing inimaginable horrors. All along it had been her own husband.