chapter fifty-seven

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

❝ sometimes i feel like i should've
given up long ago. ❞

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

THE SOUND OF A SHOE tapping against the hard floors bounced off the walls of the dining hall. Luke anxiously chewed the inside of his lower lip— his eyes dazed and distant as thoughts wracked through his mind.

Leia's steps faltered by the entrance to the dining room, her dark eyes resting on Skywalker's focused figure. A small frown played on her lips, Luke looked out of it almost every day since Carina had been taken, and it'd been just over a month already.

Leia would be lying if she said she wasn't also wrecked with pure concern for the woman who had saved her life on countless occasions, but she had to be a leader. She could not make rash decisions on pure instinct.

The princess spent most of her days trying not to dwell on Carina for too long, because everything in her screamed to take the fighter pilots and rush after her. But she knew better.

Though what continued to peak her curiosity was Luke's reaction. She hadn't ever seen the blonde in such a state, on edge about everything and itching to get onto his aircraft and risk it all for the brunette.

Leia sighed softly before beginning to slowly approach the boy, carefully taking a seat beside him when she noticed he hadn't felt her yet. The princess placed a gentle hand upon his forearm to which his clear blue eyes snapped to hers.

Luke could see the worry hidden in Leia's eyes, he knew he was acting out of it, worrying everyone on the ship but he couldn't reign in his need to get his mother.

"You haven't slept." Leia softly reminded the blonde who swallowed audibly before moving his arm out of her reach, "I'll rest in a bit."

At that, Leia frowned again, "You've said that over the last couple of days, Luke. If you're not in here, you're in the main hangar working on your star fighter. Please, go get some sleep."

Tense silence was the girls only response from him.

"Luke..."

The boy shook his head, "I can't sleep without knowing how she is." Leia tipped her head to the side slightly, "Carina can manage well on her own, believe me. She is strong, and I know she wouldn't want you wearing yourself down like this."

Luke ran his hand over his face in a frustrated manner, "You don't know that though. Stars knows what they're doing to her and it's all because of me." A sharp inhale was taken, "I don't know what to do."

Leia watched the boys body tense, his trembling lips pursed with his eyes guarding an emotion she couldn't place, "Luke it isn't your fault, no matter what it was not. You want to blame someone? Blame the Empire that took her. We will get her back, okay?"