chapter forty-two

❝ i don't trust you

❝ i don't trust you. ❞

CARINA FISTED HER hands in her lap as she attempted to clear her mind of all the whispering voices, they were in the middle of a fight, it was no time to be mourning. The brunette shut her eyes once before mustering up what little mental strength she had left to pull herself up from the ground.

Carina placed a hand on her chest as she struggled to contain her emotions, licking her dried lips as a tired expression settled onto her features.

The brunette shuffled on her feet before treading down the hall to enter the cockpit where Chewbacca and Leia sat, watching out for incoming fighters.

The princess glanced back at her mother, "Are you okay?" Carina merely nodded as she gazed at the radar to show four fighters inching towards them, "We have incoming."

Leia looked back at the panel before speaking into her transmitter, "Here they come." Carina clutched her daughters seat as the aircraft began to rumble slightly. The Algora grit her teeth as an incoming shot hit them, alarms going off as Leia spoke, "We've lost lateral controls."

"Don't worry, she'll hold together."

Carina pursed her lips as electricity crackling could be heard. The woman stayed utterly silent as she did not feel like speaking, her eyes holding no emotion in them as she gazed at the fighter ships.

The brunette narrowed her eyes slightly as one of the space ships looped over them before settling back into view before getting hit by their machine guns. Carina watched the small aircraft erupt into pieces before the one next to it shortly followed the same fate.

Two out of four were down.

Leia glanced at the radar, "There's still two of them out there." Chewbacca continued manipulating the controls as they skimmed past incoming shots. Carina pulled her brows together as the star fighter began to fly dangerously close before their canons hit it, debris filling the atmosphere from the impact.

The mother watched as the last remaining fighter swooped above them before settling back before the ships view. Her jaw clenched as the aircraft erupted, bright orange flashing through the area.

Carina swallowed thickly as Leia jumped from her seat to hug the Wookiee at her side, "We did it."

The mother gazed at her child a little longer before turning on her heel, heading out of the cockpit before treading into her seat. The brunette leaned her head back as exhaustion fell over her, she didn't know how much more she could take.

Carina shut her eyes as a soft breath escaped her parted lips, an image of Obi-Wan's final smile that he gave her plagued her haunted mind. The image was so clear, as if she was truly seeing him. Carina opened her eyes, sitting upright before running her hands through her hair in a harsh manner, slightly scratching her scalp as she did so.