chapter thirty-three

❝ some things are best if kept hidden

❝ some things are best if kept hidden. ❞

CARINA HELD HER DAUGHTER close to her side as the unknown woman led them through the back of tents due to storm troopers roaming out and about.

"He gave you the right coordinates. I was on my way when the probes arrived, but you'd already gone."

Carina pursed her chapped lips, "Well, we hadn't expected anyone to actually show up." Leia gazed up at the brunette, "Correction, you two hadn't."

Two troopers walked past the little corner the group was in and Carina instinctively pulled Leia closer towards the wall, behind herself as she watched them disappear from her line of sight.

Tala glanced out before speaking, "The Empire's gone into high alert. They've locked everything down." Obi-Wan held a concerned glint in his gaze, "Can we still get out?"

"I can get you to the port." Tala kept a weary eye out as she continued, "There's a pilot who's agreed to take you, but he's not scheduled to leave for a few hours, so we need to lay low."

Carina knitted her brows together as she intently watched the woman, she wasn't fond of following a person they didn't know. Tala began to walk towards the street before gazing back at the trio, "Wait here. I'll make sure it's clear."

Carina clenched her jaw before looking up to see aircrafts taking off, her eyes darted around, her attention going back to Tala. Her eyes lingered on the woman until she disappeared into a room, a small fluttering noise was made beside her and the mother looked down to see her youngest holding her droid, Lola, close to her heart.

The Algora girl pursed her lips before crouching down to meet her child's height, "It'll be okay, Leia. I promise you I am getting you back home."

Leia's lower lips began to tremble as she softly spoke, "I didn't do it on purpose. I didn't mean to run away. I used to do it all the time. I just— it was just for fun." Carina placed a gentle hand upon her daughters shoulder, "It wasn't your fault, princess. You couldn't have known what would happen."

The ten year old held a saddened look, "I miss home."

"You'll be home soon, I promise."

Obi-Wan glanced back at his friend, "Carina." The brunette's attention went to the male as she stood back up to her full size before slipping into his side to see Tala signaling for them to join her. Carina pressed her lips together, "I don't like this."

"We don't have another choice at the moment."

Carina glanced back at Leia while holding her hand out, "Come on." Obi-Wan walked a little ahead of the two as Carina did her best to look calm and normal as she crossed the pathway before slipping into the small opening of the door, her hand letting go of Leia as the child began to look around the room.