chapter fifty-one

❝ self sabotage, what a dreadful thing

❝ self sabotage, what a dreadful thing. ❞

— CARINA'S SOFT BREATH'S were the only thing that could be heard in the room she had been locked in. Her calloused hands toying with the hem of the blanket she'd been given. The woman coughed out, her eye lids falling heavy as her body continued to weaken.

She had been refusing to eat for the past three days, her vision had been beginning to blur, her mouth excruciatingly dry. Carina pulled her knees to her chest, keeping a blank expression as she drew in heavy breath's.

Her head twitched slightly just as a sharp pain stabbed through her mind. The mother hated everything about her current situation, allowing herself to be so weak and vulnerable was something she absolutely despised.

Her mind would constantly drift off into her memories, her sons laughter plaguing her ears with Leia's snarky remarks in the background. Obi-Wan's judgmental comments and Ahsoka's insults directed at Anakin. Key moments that always cracked a smile in Algora, but this time it didn't.

Carina clenched her jaw tightly as chills rippled through her body. The voices that constantly lingered in her mind grew louder the more she slipped out of consciousness. She didn't bother getting defensive as her door clicked open, the woman assumed it was another trooper going in to set her tray of food down.

Though, she had been mistaken. Familiar heavy breaths reached her ears— that being all she needed to know it was Darth Vader that had entered.

The Sith Lord paused in his steps, his eyes trailing over his wife's curled up figure. The male's hard expression fell slightly behind his mask, his concern for her only growing with how pale she looked.

Vader exhaled softly, attempting to form a sentence in his mind before going to speak it, "You haven't been eating."

Carina didn't budge from her spot, her eyes never faltering as she continued to ignore his presence just like she had before. Darth pursed his lips, he hadn't heard her speak to him since they had last saber fought. The male struggled to think of ways to get her to eat, at the point they were in he didn't care that she was ignoring him, but she needed to eat.

Vader glanced back at the tray of untouched food, he thought that if he stayed away she would let go of her stubbornness and simply eat, but he had been mistaken.

"The food is not poisoned if that's your concern." The male spoke, his tone being the same he always seemed to speak in.

Carina huffed slightly, sniffling as she tightened her grip on her knees. She didn't want any of what was happening to her, a part of her cursed herself for not staying out of this war.

In truth, Carina never wanted to have been with the Rebellion aiding them in their fight against the empire. She would've stayed on the planet she inhabited those twenty years, not paying a second thought to the war that she'd wanted nothing to do with.