chapter thirty-two

❝ do i look like im tolerant? ❞

LAUGHTER. Beautiful calming laughter echoed around Darth Vader. The male blinked as a mirror appeared before him. He gazed, inspecting what his face looked like without his mask.

The sith lord peered into his own eyes, the yellow hint they held catching him by slight surprise. Two scars decorating each side of his face.

The same laughter plagued his hearing, it was soft, gentle, and pleasing to hear.

The mirror disappeared and Vader was suddenly in his old room. The one he lived in whilst he was apart of the Jedi order.

Resentment and anger flashed in his gaze as he looked around, clearly agitated by the sight of it all when a voice that always soothed him spoke.

"Ani?"

Vader froze, feeling himself go utterly tense as the angelic voice cooed in his mind. The sith lord slowly turned, swallowing thickly as a kind smile greeted him.

Carina.

The brunette raised a curious brow, "You look like you've seen a ghost."

Vader couldn't believe his ears, for years he spent dreaming and hallucinating his wife, his lover— but this was the first she actually spoke.

Her voice, he hadn't realized just how much he had forgotten what the girl had sounded like. He had missed it, everything about her he missed.

Carina pursed her tainted lips, "You haven't made the right choice yet, have you?"

Vader furrowed just brows slightly before taking a few steps towards her, desperate to hold her once again, but with each step he took, the girl got farther and farther away.

"You can't reach me, Anakin."

Vader, for the first time in what felt like centuries, wanted to cry.

"Not while you're this."

Carina's figure suddenly went blurry when the scenery faded away, until Darth Vader was standing before Carina Algora's tombstone.

His breath caught in his throat as he gazed down, he had been to the exact spot multiple times, one of those times having left yellow mum flowers, her favorite.

Every dream always ended the same way, with him standing over her grave.

It would forever be his constant reminder of who put her there.