chapter twelve

❝ there was a time when i would'vedone anything for you ❞

done anything for you ❞

CARINA HELD A SADDENED expression as she stood beside Anakin who gazed down at his mothers grave, two other headstones, one smaller than the other, stood in the blazing sun.

Cliegg pursed his lips, "I know wherever you are it's become a better place. You were the most loving partner a man could ever have. Goodbye, my dearest wife. And thank you."

Carina gazed up at Anakin who paused for a short moment before kneeling down, taking a fist full of sand, "I wasn't strong enough to save you, Mom. I wasn't strong enough. But I promise I won't fail again." the young padawan stood back up as he breathed out, "I miss you so much."

Carina gazed down at Shmi's grave when a familiar beep caught her attention, Padme tilted her head at the sight of the R2 unit, "What are you doing here, R2?"

The Jedi Knight furrowed her brows in concern as the droid whistled to C-3PO, who gazed over at Anakin and Carina, "It seems that he is carrying a message from an Obi-Wan Kenobi. Master Annie, does that name mean anything to you?"

Carina narrowed her eyes as she leaned back in her seat as she intently watched the flickering hologram of Obi-Wan, "Anakin, my long range transmitter has been knocked out. Retransmit this message to Coruscant."

The Jedi Knight reached over to the control board, pushing the button to transmit the message.

"I have tracked the bounty hunter Jango Fett to the droid foundries on Geonosis. The Trade Federation is to take taking delivery of a droid army here and it is clear that Viceroy Gunray is behind the assassination attempts on Senator Amidala."

Carina glanced up at Padme as Kenobi continued, "The Commerce Guilds and Corporate Alliance have both pledged their armies to Count Dooku and are forming an... Wait—"

Carina felt panic surge through her as she watched her dearest friend begin to be attacked by droidekas, barely a moment later, the hologram cut out.

The Jedi Knight pursed her lips, worry evident in her eyes as Anakin abruptly stood from his seat, clearly agitated.

"Obi..." Carina softly whispered, she knew the Jedi Master could handle himself, but that didn't stop her from worrying about him.

Padme watched as an incoming transmission sounded, the Senator answered the call and Carina stood up from her seat as a hologram of Mace Windu popped up.

"Carina."

The brunette slightly bowed her head, "Master Windu."

"We will deal with Count Dooku. The most important thing for you and Anakin is to stay where you are. Protect the Senator at all costs. That is your first priority."