Part 39

"Where are you going all pretty looking?" Paige asks as she rubs her eyes sleepy. It's only seven and she's just waking up. "I'm going to eat breakfast with John." I say, Paige's eyes widen. "So you two-?"

"No, no. I'm going to give him an answer today." She sighs, "Woah. Good luck, pumpkin." She walks to the bathroom and I sit on the bed looking at myself on my tiny mirror. I apply some more mascara and wait a few minutes.

"Paige, I'm going to leave okay? I'll be back before we leave to the busses." I close my suitcase because today we are leaving to Manchester New Hampshire. "Okay!" Paige screams from the bathroom. I walk down to the lobby where I'm meeting John. He's already here and I take a deep breath. Luckily Seth isn't around to see us together.

"You look beautiful. Like always." He says as we walk out the hotel. "Thank you." I say as we walk to a small restaurant in front of the hotel.

We sit down at a booth and a waiter comes to take our order. "I would like some pancakes and orange juice, please." John says, "Uh. Some chicken soup and water, please." John gives me a look, "Water? Why not orange juice?" Because orange juice is calories.

"I don't know, I like water." I say as the waiter walks away. "Okay, so." He says slowly. "John. I've been thinking about it, we've been together for a while. And you've made me so happy, you know I care about you a lot. But, I'm not sure I want to spend my life with you." His face goes pale and he looks down at the table.

I bite my lip holding my breath. He looks up, "But Nicole, you've told me before that you wanted to spend your life with me. What made you change your mind now?" I put my hair behind my ear. I'm afraid to tell him.

John huffs kind of angry. "It was that scumbag, Seth. Wasn't it?" I look at him, "He's not a scumbag." John rolls his eyes, "I knew it! It was him! Gosh, I swear to- if he hadn't gotten involved in our relationship we would be fine!"

"John, calm down." I say looking around. People are staring because John keeps screaming. "Nicole, I can't calm down. I want to beat the living hell out of him."

"No! John, it's not Seth's fault. It's my fault." He slams his fist on the table, the waiter brings our food and he looks at us weird. "Stop sticking up for him! It's his fault, he's the one that started to mess with your mind and with your emotions. Nicole, I know you're confused, but I know that you still love me. I know you do." He reaches across the table and holds my hand.

"John-" he interrupts me. "You made me believe in true love again. I just know you're the one, I know you're my other half." Oh, why is he making this so hard?

"I'm so sorry John-" I say with tears. "I'm sorry but I can't- I don't feel the same about you anymore. I'm sorry for hurting you and making you suffer. I'm so sorry." I start to cry and he stops holding my hand. He looks down at his lap for a few minutes and then looks up with teary eyes.

"Oh John-" he puts his hand up. "No don't. I don't need your pity." He rubs his temples and I don't know if he's sad or mad. "It's not pity John," I say wiping my tears. "I just don't want to see you upset."

"I shouldn't have asked you to marry me in front of everybody. I feel so stupid now."

"John no- don't say that. I'm just-" he interrupts me. "Yeah I know you're sorry. I just hope that you don't realize that Seth isn't worth your time too late. I just hope that you don't realize that you've made a mistake to let me go, too late." He gets up and leaves money on the table.

I sit there crying until the waiter comes. "Umm, excuse me ma'am can I take this up?" He says. I nod slowly as he picks up the money and the full plates that we didn't even touch.

I get up and walk out and back to the hotel. On my way to the elevator I bump into Seth. Without even thinking about it I hug him and cry on his chest. "Woah, there Nicole. What's wrong?" He rubs my back and I can't find the words to talk.

"Bella, why are you crying? Oh, who do I need to beat?" He sounds concerned and I pull away. I notice that I left my mascara all over his shirt. "I'm sorry." I say embarrassed. He looks down at his shirt, "It's fine. I didn't even like this shirt anyways."

I wipe my tears and sniffle, "I- I- oh my gosh-" I start to cry again and he grabs me by my hand and starts to walk somewhere. I want to ask where we are going but I'm crying and I can't.

He walks to the stairway and sits down on the first step. "Come here, sit beside me." I sit beside him and wipe my tears again. "Now you can tell me, what's the matter?"

"I finally gave John an answer." Seth looks at me confused. "When he asked me to marry him, I never gave him an answer until today." Seth looks me in the eyes, "So you weren't engaged to him?"

I shake my head no. "What was your answer?" I can hear that he's afraid. "I said no." I whisper.

"Was it- because of me?" He says, I nod. "Oh, Bella." He says, he's about to say something else but a person walks in. "Umm can I get through?" The person says and we realize that we are sitting on the stairs. We move out the way and walk back in the lobby.

"I have a headache, I'm going to finish packing up." I tell Seth. "Wait, we still need to talk." He holds my hand and I look down at his hand holding mine. "We will talk later, I promise." He lets go. "Okay, and don't cry anymore. Please?"

"Okay, I won't cry anymore." He smiles a little and I turn around to walk to my room. I feel both happy and terrible. And the day is only starting.