Chp. 48: Why So Serious?

Ari's POV 🌸

As a group, we decided to give Yoongi and Lily some privacy for a few days at the hospital. There was a lot of concern about the risk of infection and healing time. None of us wanted to crowd them as they navigated this challenging situation.

With the studio temporarily closed down and me trying to figure out my complicated feelings about all that has occurred with Namjoon, it's been a whirlwind. Jungkook and Jae flew home right after Jungkook's business meetings concluded, and in the interim, his team went to work deftly taking DNA samples from both of us and having me sign an obscene amount of paperwork.

Jungkook's team moved at lightning speed, and it reminds me of how different life can be between the "haves" and the "have nots." If I had submitted these tests through a regular lab, it would have taken months to come back, but Jungkook's team is expecting the results in a matter of days, and it is all being processed under a cloak of confidentiality. It makes me wonder what other kinds of resources an idol can have on tap with enough money thrown at a problem.

Even though I'm interested in unlocking this mystery between Jungkook and me, I can't help but be distracted. When I'm not trying to cope with what happened with Lily, I am busy trying to avoid thinking about Namjoon, but it's nearly impossible.

It's as if everything reminds me of him. The scent of soap, the painting on my wall, the songs on my playlists, and if it isn't everyday items, it's the memories of the many conversations we had wrapped up in each other's arms while we talked about the world and shared our innermost thoughts. I don't understand why he walked away from me so easily when we felt so solid, and my heartbeat hasn't felt normal since that day.

Today I got up early, determined to organize my art supplies and thoroughly clean my apartment as a distraction, when my phone starts ringing. I answer when I see it's Ha-Kun.

"Hey, Ari. Lily is doing much better, and she is asking for the Rogue team to come into the hospital and speak with her. Can you do that today?"

"Of course. What time should I be there?" I ask, frightened that Lily may be about to tell us we are all out of a job. I can't be mad at her, she's experienced so much trauma this week, but I'm starting to wonder how much more heartache I can take at this point.

"I'm going to pick up Nabi and Heyon, and then I can swing by your place. Can you be ready to go in an hour?"

"Thanks so much; I'll be ready," I agree, and we say our goodbyes.

It's not long before the four of us arrive at the hospital. When we enter Lily's room, I'm so excited to see her looking more like herself with the color coming back to her face; but then I notice that both Tae and Joon are seated in the room as well. My body shakes all over seeing Joon looking notably tired but still handsome.

I feel my heart racing, but I am determined to act like everything is normal. Today is about Lily and not me; I keep telling myself to lead with my head and not my broken heart.

A fragile smile spreads across Lily's face when she sees our little group, and she waves us over. Yoongi kisses her cheek and moves out of our way, joining Tae and Namjoon.

"Gather around," her voice is so much quieter than we are used to, and we shuffle, so there are two of us on each side of her bed to hear what she has to say.

Ha-Kun begins, "First, we wanted to gather you around to assure you that Rogue Records isn't going anywhere," he says as he smooths some hair away from Lily's face. "Lily and I spent some time talking yesterday, and Lily is going to fight her way back just like my strong sister always does," he says with so much affection it makes my heart jump in my chest. I'm so happy to know that the plan is to all stay together.