Chp. 49: "Tangled!" Was That Okay?

Namjoon's POV 🪴

Speaking with Ari at the hospital about our situation was difficult, but I'm glad I know where her head is at now. I really can't blame her for putting distance between us after I lashed out. In fact, my behavior surprised even me. I acted so instinctually that day at Ha-Kun's restaurant; it was like no reasonable thought could break through the blind insecurity that swept through me when I felt like I had been run through the wringer again by someone I trusted.

I wish I could go back and pause to think before I acted, and having Kid LAROI's, STAY come up on the radio is not helping the situation. I really have felt fucked up since I walked away from Ari. However, now that I've spoken with her, I somehow feel at peace even though the outcome wasn't what I initially wanted.

I adore that she was strong enough to use her head and think about the situation and tell me the outcome she desires. Honestly, her eyes told me everything I needed to know. There is no doubt in my mind that she loves me, fully, completely, I really needed to know that, but she is right. If we don't figure out our own communication issues, how will we learn to communicate together? I take a deep breath and brush my hand through my hair.

I'm going to figure this all out.

I walk to my guest bedroom and open the door for the first time since I got upset with Ari. Opening the door, I walk over and take a long look at the painting she created for me. My heart swells in my chest as I think about how many hours she must have put into this work. All those nights, she kept saying her apartment was a mess with art supplies, and maybe we could meet at my place; this is what she was doing, trying to keep this gift a secret for me.

Gently I pull the canvas into the dining room, and it's not long until I've carefully measured and hung the painting up over my buffet, so it is the star of the room. I remember Ari talking about how her art would seem so out of place next to my art collection because her work was amateur, but to me, it is just as valuable. A reminder I can look at every day to remind me of what direction I need to go in, and what I want -and what I want is Ari.

I didn't realize how much time has passed since I started this project until security let me know my company has arrived; then, there is a knock on my door, and I go to answer it.

"Hey Hyung, how is it going?"

"It's good, JK, come on in," I greet him warmly, and we enter through the hallway that empties into the dining room.

"Wow! This painting is new! Where did you get this from?" JK asks as he walks up to the wall to take a closer look.

"Ari made it for me before everything happened. Actually, it was at my door when I got home that night..."

JK looks at me empathetically, "Woah, that must have been a hard pill to swallow, Hyung."

"Yes, I finally just hung it up today," I murmur.

"You going to win her back?" he asks with a soft smile.

"I'm going to try my best. Since Ari talked to me, I've been going to appointments to talk through some of my issues each week." I reply, thinking about all the work I've been doing for myself and wondering why it took this incident with Ari to really get me to start taking better care of myself instead of me having the ability to motivate myself. I'm grateful she did, though.

"Tell me, how do you and Jae do it? You jumped right into a relationship with her, and you've been going strong for years...."

"I always trusted her; I swear I heard bells the first time I laid eyes on her. She never once tried to share a photo of us together, or places we have been; she never leaked a text or message I've sent her. She talked about things other than music with me right away," JK shrugs. "Jae has treated me like a human since the day I met her, so I knew she was the one. Also, she's hot as fuck!" he chuckles. "Jae isn't out there sharing perilla leaves with anybody; you know what I'm saying?"