Chapter 24

You pull up about an hour later, outside Reefer Ricks.
"This is where Eddie was hiding after Chrissy" Dustin explains "He told us Ricks in prison, no-one should come here anytime soon"

Steve idles up to the secluded house and parks. He steps out and opens the back door, pulling Eddie out and throwing his limp arm over his shoulder, keeping him up by his waist as you take his other arm, both of you carrying Eddie inside.

You hold on to Steve's bat, still on edge that something might spring out as you all step into the house. You both place Eddie onto his back on the couch and Steve breathes a sigh of relief. He was done being the pack mule.
Nancy springs to action and checks Eddie over, finding more bites and large gashes on his back.
"I need to stitch these up. Vodka and bandages won't help. Something down there was keeping him alive but it might not work here. We need to act fast"

Steve and Dustin volunteer to head back into town to grab more supplies from the pharmacy as you and Nancy grab anything you can find to temporarily patch him up. Eddie slips in and out of consciousness as you work, each time you slap his face gently to keep him awake.
"Eddie you need to stay awake, please, just stay with me" you urge.

He moves his arm, slowly, groaning in pain as his muscles work to hold his hand up to yours. He grips it as hard as he can and mumbles "Thank you".
His voice sounds raspy, his throat was dry. You rush to the fridge and pull out bottles of water, opening one and holding it to his lips. You rest your hand on the back of his head as he gulps it down. It must have been ages since she's eaten or drank.

"Eddie where does it hurt?" Nancy asks.
"Ev...everywhere" Eddie groans.
You stroke his cheek, a lame attempt to try and soothe him but it's all you had to offer right now. You hand him the wooden spoon which he takes in his mouth.

Nancy continues splashing vodka over the open wounds and packing them with bandages, Eddie bites down hard on the spoon each time, crying in pain. Finally Steve and Dustin return, throwing bags of more bandages and a medical sewing kit onto the floor.

Nancy wastes no time prepping the sewing kit and getting to work on Eddies wounds.
The hardest to watch were the ones on his back. Steve pushes him onto his side and he cries out in agony as he moves.
"It's ok, it's almost over" you whisper. Adrenaline stopping you reacting emotionally to seeing him in pain. The most important thing right now was getting him stable.

Nancy applies the final stitches, splashes each of the wounds with more vodka and applies more bandages.
"The bleedings stopped but we need to keep an eye on him" she says.
"I'm not leaving him. I'll stay here with him" you say quickly.
"I'm staying too" Dustin says.
You shake your head "No, mom will suspect something. We need to both go home regularly to make it look like nothings happening. She'll be more suspicious if you don't go home Dustin"
He looks crestfallen "but this is my fault. If I'd pulled him out... if I'd checked..." he says, tears falling down his cheeks.

You pull him in to you, hugging him tightly "This isn't your fault. None of this is. We have him now, he's here and he's safe. That's all that matters" you whisper.