18// Can I Be Him

When the lights come on and
                             I'm on my own
Will you be there to sing it again?
                       Could I be the one you
                 talk about it in all your stories?

—James Arthur—

[Alex Rodriguez]
December 2015

I was sitting by myself on my bed wearing nothing but my underwear and a shirt. It was snowing outside my window and it was Christmas Eve and I had no one to spend it with. I hated living in this dingy old apartment, I had to wait a little longer until I could have assessed to my grandparent's will; I didn't care for the will, I really wanted my grandparents back.

I heard a knock on my door, I got up from my bed and walked towards the door, I looked through the peephole, and when I saw who it was I had one of the biggest smiles on my face.

I pulled the door open and Wanda was standing there and a little boy behind her, the boy had brown thick but loose curly hair, he had light brown skin "Hey Wands,"

"Hi Alex," She looked behind her looking down at the boy "This is Jack,"

I held out my hand to the kid "Hi Jack, I'm Alex," Jack just stared at my hand.

"Where're your pants?"

"Jack! I'm sorry he's new to the whole Avengers thing,"

"Oh, does he have powers or. . ?"

"He has powers but he was trained to be an assassin—"

"Wanda shut up! He does not care," Jack cut her off.

"Prick!"

"Asshole!"

"Idiot!"

"Fuck face!" I laughed at the two of them as they argued with each other "Can we go home? Please it's cold and freezing out here,"

"Yo. . .you guys can come in if you want," I said stuttering. I made a way for them to come and they both accepted and walked through the door I closed it behind them "So what brings you guys here?"

"I wanted to see you. . .since you know it's Christmas Eve and all,"

"You didn't have to visit me," I said walking closer to her.

"But I want to,"

"But you didn't have to,"

"But I wanted to,"

"Ew, just kiss already, you guys are giving each other fuck me eyes," Jack said. "Umm. . .do you have any food? Because I'm serving,"

"Jack, you can't just ask people for food!"

"I don't care if I ask for food then it should be okay, I didn't say you, If I'd done then I would have said we're serving,"

"I'm sorry about him," She tried to apologize.

"It's okay, the kid is hungry," I made my way to the refrigerator and look to see if there was any food in there "Umm. . . do you like pizza?" I said to him handing him the box.

"That will do," He took the pizza box out of my hands. He opened the box and his face fell with disgust "Ew, you got tin crest,"

"Jack if you don't eat the damn food—" But she stops herself from saying anything else "He's just a kid, he's just a kid." She Burrows her face in her palms.