2

Arriving at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, Kgomotso wasn’t surprised that Kamo chose it as her wedding venue, with its pink exterior, elegant grandeur and Table Mountain dominating the scenic views it could be mistaken as a castle out of a Brothers Grimm fairy tale. And her sister was the Princess who’d finally found her Prince Charming to marry. It was the perfect backdrop for their love story. Even though she was happy for Kamo it was only a matter of time before she turned green with envy.

Driving through the ornate entrance and long driveway lined with palm trees felt like she was being transported to a lavish mansion in Bel Air and like Bel Air this secluded oasis was a celebrity attraction. All she needed was a drop top, the summer breeze caressing her hair and a loving man by her side, the latter made her smile because the Jerk from the airport still occupied her mind. 

The immaculate garden stretched out as far as the eye could see, everything about this place was outstanding and the pictures she’d seen on the internet didn’t do it justice. She squealed in excitement, causing the driver to steal a glance her way.

“Sorry.” She flashed him a smile unable to contain herself.

She was in Cape Town, staying in one of the most exclusive hotels in the country and she was damn sure going to enjoy every minute of it. Forget Xola and his big-eyed wife or what she’d say to him, because there was a lot she needed to off load. Forget the Jerk from the airport, soon this place would be filled with single, rich and sexy men to do with as she pleased. A fling would probably do her good, she almost laughed out loud at that silly thought. She was a relationship kind of girl, which is why she was still single because men seemed to be interested in one thing and one thing only. If any of them looked like the brown-eyed stranger, whose touch made her squirm with fervent need she would’ve thrown caution to the wind, and given in to the temptation of fun with no strings attached. 

The driver parked next to the water fountain situated at the end of the driveway surrounded by bright flowers, and left the engine running as he stepped out to off load her luggage. She rummaged through her handbag for her lipstick and reapplied the vibrant colour on her full lips. She didn’t bother with make-up that morning and the scalding heat had enhanced the rosy hue on her cheeks, making her selfie ready.

Once outside Kgomotso smoothed out her navy polka dot dress she purchased online and checked herself out one last time on the car window, before snapping a few selfies for Instagram. Even the air was different here: clean, fresh and definitely affluent.          

“Please be careful with that,” she said, when her suitcase made a loud thud after he put it down.

“Sorry,” he mumbled.

Before his car disappeared from view the bellhop had already taken her luggage and was escorting her inside. He was tall, lean and too serious for her liking, flirting with him wasn’t an option. Walking inside she suddenly felt like a fish out of water and her steps faltered because not so long ago people like her weren’t allowed in such establishments. But she quickly recovered, squared her shoulders, held her head high and sucked her stomach in.    

Taking in her surroundings it was obvious that no expense was spared to fulfil Kamo’s dream of a Top Billing wedding. The interior was even better than the outside, regal and still maintained the colonial history.

“Welcome to the Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel and I hope you’ll enjoy your stay with us,” said a petite brunette, sporting a sleek bob most likely achieved in a high-end salon. She was dressed in a black tailored uniform, which accentuated her slim figure. 

“Thank you.”

Kgomotso wasted no time accepting the glass of champagne and welcomed a sip. It was the expensive kind she’d had the pleasure of enjoying in Kamo’s company, because her sister loved the finer things in life.