48

She didn't want to be here, spending her evening in the company of couples celebrating Valentine's Day. Anesu left for Rwanda in the morning and she asked him not to buy her anything so they could celebrate when he returned. She may have become too dependent on him these last couple of weeks, because his absence made it difficult to cope.

She was getting ready to leave the office when Churchill called, requesting to meet with her. He didn't state a reason and she didn't ask because she still felt indebted to him for his help in keeping her out of prison.

He chose a swanky steakhouse restaurant in Rosebank, it was dimly lit with candles on every table to create a romantic atmosphere and in the middle was a single red rose, she found it a bit clichéd but it did the trick.

The maitre d' welcomed Kgomotso with a keen smile and confirmed that her 'husband' was already waiting before escorting her to their table. It was next to the vast windows, flaunting the splendid sunset view.

Great. Now everyone thought they were a couple and it didn't help that Churchill got up to pull out the chair for her. The urge to roll her eyes was hard to resist when she saw the bottle of wine on the table, because it was absurd.

"You didn't have to do that," she said.

He poured her a glass. "Chivalry is not dead."

His smile revealed white even teeth. He was too perfect some might even say superficial. Nothing was out of place, his shirt was still in pristine condition after a long day at work and had no creases.

"Why am I here, Churchill?" Do I have an outstanding bill?"

There was no time to beat around the bush.

"No, your sister already took care of that."

Kgomotso tilted her head, waiting to find out why he summoned her.

"Don't you want to order first? I'm famished," he said, picking up the menu.

It wasn't in her nature to turn down a free meal but something about this made her feel uneasy.

"No. I'm not hungry I want to know what do you want from me."

A waiter was at their table in an instant, on any day Kgomotso would've been impressed with the efficiency but instead the interruption annoyed her. She didn't put much thought into her order because her aim was to get rid of the overzealous waiter.

"I need your help."

She frowned, staring into his eyes. "Are you in trouble?"

He should've called his lawyer friends because she knew nothing about getting people out of a bind.

"No, it's nothing like that...it's about your sister." His eyes wandered all over the place, making his discomfort evident.

"What happened to Kamo?"

She couldn't turn off her feelings no matter how dire things were between them, she would always care.

"I need to see her but she's been avoiding me, I don't know what to do anymore."

And he thought involving her was the way to go?

"Kamo is a married woman, Churchill. I don't know what you were expecting me to do."

"That didn't stop her before."

What the hell was that supposed to mean? Her eyes popped out and her mouth hung open long enough to leave her tongue dry.

Kgomotso took a hasty sip and almost choked on the expensive wine. "Are you two having an affair?" She hissed, unable to hide her shock.

"Eish." He scratched his head. "We reconnected after she found out her husband was having a child with another woman, and I thought we were building something because the last time we spoke she was ready to leave Lwazi."