37

A pipe burst, flooding the whole floor and the damage would set them back a couple of days if not weeks before they could resume with business. The renovation project was becoming a costly pain in Kgomotso’s ass but it was too late to pull the plug, she had to bite the bullet and ensure there wouldn’t be any more nasty surprises going forward because their budget was already stretched thin.

Hazel was too optimistic that everything would work out in the end.

“You need to spend money to make money,” she said the last time Kgomotso complained after seeing the invoice for the office furniture.

Kgomotso understood that creating an impression was important especially because they had to entice new clients and to attract multi million Rand accounts they had to look like they could handle accounts of that level, but it was hard not to stress, seeing all the money they were spending.

They went inside for an inspection once the contractor deemed it safe to do so, she didn’t think there was a need to wear hard hats but she was distracted with counting how much it would roughly cost to replace the carpet to point that out. And something had to be done with those cubicles, they looked depressing.

“Will we have to take the carpet out?”

She was hoping there was a way it could be saved without spending a single cent.

“Yes, or else you run the risk of having mould. I know it’s not what you wanted to hear.” He gave her a rueful smile.

“Sorry, chommie.” Hazel mouthed.

“It’s okay, Joe.” A mournful sighed slipped past her lips.

“So, how long will it take to fix? We need to open our doors as soon as possible because our clients are starting to get nervous.” Hazel asked.

Joe scratched the back of his head, looking pensive all of a sudden. “I can’t say for sure, it may take two weeks or more. The plumbing in this building is ancient and I’ll have to replace most of it but I’ll try to work fast.”

“Please do.” Hazel smiled.

“As long as you don’t charge us more.”

He chuckled to kill the awkwardness. “No, I won’t.”

“Please, excuse me.” Kgomotso rushed out to answer her ringing phone.

“Please come to the flat,” Kamo said before Kgomotso even got a chance to greet.

Her sister didn’t sound like her normal self, her monotonous voice instantly filled Kgomotso with worry.

“What’s wrong?”

“Just come, please, I need to talk to someone.” Kamo sniffled.

Something must be really wrong for Kamo to be crying, Kgomotso’s heartbeat took off in a sprint and fear had her frozen like a statue.

“Keng, Kamohelo? Did something happen to, Ma?”
      “No.” She took a shaky breath. “Ma, is fine.”

Kgomotso’s shoulders dropped in relief. “Okay. I’m on my way.”

“Thank you.” She hung up.

“Are you leaving?”

“Eish, Hazel, you’ll give me a heart attack!” Kgomotso shouted, squeezing her phone tightly.

“Sorry.” She frowned, her brows meeting in the middle. “I thought you saw me.”

“I didn’t.”

“Chommie…I know you’re not happy about this setback but it will all be worth it in the end.”

Kgomotso put her phone back in the bag. “I know. I was thinking in the meantime we could start working remotely. We need to narrow down the candidates for the HR manager position and we need a new receptionist because Mavis isn’t coming back.”

“Why?”

“She decided to be a stay-at-home mom.”

Hazel rolled her eyes. “That is why I’ll never settle down and have kids because women end up having to sacrifice everything, while the men continue to rule the world.”

“It’s what she wanted.”

“You better not leave me when you marry Anesu and start popping out his kids.”

Kgomotso laughed, tipping her head back. “I won’t.”

“I’m serious, chommie.”

“I promise I won’t leave you, Haze.”

“Good and I think Rose will make the perfect HR manager.”

Kgomotso nodded. “I liked Rose, too, and her experience was impressive.”

“It looks like we’ve made our choice.”

Kgomotso took a peek at her watch, she needed to leave because Kamo was expecting her. “You don’t mind that I have to leave? My sister needs me.”

“No, I’m leaving too. The guy from Durban is in town and wants to meet for dinner, I need to go shopping for a freakum dress.”

“He’s still in the picture?”

“Yes, chommie, there’s no harm in having fun.”
                                                               **********