38

It was the last day of January and Kgomotso was in Sharpville. Her father slaughtered a chicken to prepare a feast like he was celebrating the return of the prodigal daughter, the day she arrived. She watched from the kitchen window because even in her mature age Kgomotso still found it scary how a chicken could frantically run around with its head cut off, like it was possessed. That traumatizing image was the source of her nightmares, growing up.

Ausi Daphne plucked the feathers and didn't flinch in pain as her fingers made contact with the scalding water, and Kgomotso was given the task of cleaning the intestines, which was something she took no pleasure in doing.

Dinner was a pleasant affair until Xola's name came up, naturally her father was hurt Kgomotso didn't come to him first and telling him about everything was harder than dealing with a chicken's intestines. The genial atmosphere was quickly replaced by a woeful spirit, which overshadowed her announcement about becoming a new owner of P&J.

Forgiveness was the last thing on Kgomotso's mind, she prayed for karma to swiftly deal with Xola, with the help of her grandmother's petty soul he was bound to never know peace.

Yesterday they buried Raymond's mother. She died in her sleep after complaining about a headache and her unexpected death caused so much speculation. Most believed her death was the result of witchcraft and named her next door neighbour as the suspect because she once threw a decomposed rat in the dead woman's yard. Some insisted it was a black cat because she was jealous of Raymond's promotion and thought her curse would reverse the good fortune.

Her funeral wasn't without drama, Raymond's uncles were already fighting him for his mother's house, forgetting that their brother left his wife and child with nothing.

As a member of the Methodist church, Raymond's mother was part of the Women's Manyano who met every Thursday at church for prayer sessions in their red uniform, they attended her funeral in large numbers and stalled the service with their lengthy speeches. Like they didn't spend the whole week gathered at her house to mourn with her family, along with the Wesley Guild, the Young Women's Manyano and Amadodana who came at different intervals and revived the family through hymns, prayer and bible verses.

Mathapelo wanted Kgomotso to stay when the after tears started, she had her eye on Raymond and was hoping Kgomotso would help and get him to notice her.

Kgomotso wondered if it occurred to Mathapelo that Raymond wasn't interested in her advances because he was still distraught about his mother's death. Not that Mathapelo would care because she regarded him as her ticket to a better life. Kgomotso had no intention of playing match maker but Mathapelo was on a mission and there was no stopping her.

Kgomotso didn't think attending the funeral would turn into a mini high school reunion nor was she happy about it because of the nosy questions.

"Are you married, Kgomotso?" It was the popular question of the day.

Followed by. "How many children do you have, Kgomotso?"

"Do you still live in Sharpeville or did you move to Joburg?"

The unnecessary prying was enough to send her home.
************

Kgomotso laid in bed, too lazy to wake up because she could hear ausi Daphne wasn't alone in the kitchen. It was after 10 and Ntate Thuso's voice bellowed through her bedroom window from a nearby radio. She was going back to Johannesburg and excited to see Anesu, the time away did her good but she was ready to be back in his arms.

She grabbed her phone and dialled his number.

"Good morning, baby." His heavy breathing caught her off guard.