27

Why hasn't he said anything?!

As the seconds ticked away silence wedged between them, becoming a thorn that pushed them apart and fear set in because this wasn't the reaction she hoped for. She wasn't expecting him to kiss her feet but even that would've been better than whatever this was. She needed him to say something, anything really and take her out of this misery.

Was he lying when he said he wanted to have children with her?

No, it couldn't be.

"I would've told you sooner but I just couldn't seem to find the right time."

He just stared at her, a sea of emotions swirling in his eyes but no words left his lips.

"I know we didn't have a lengthy discussion about children, but I'm certain we'll be able to figure it out." She babbled on, hoping it would motivate him to talk.

"We're having a baby?" He uttered his words slowly.

What was so hard for him to understand? It wasn't rocket science afterall.

"Yes, that's what normally happens when a woman gets pregnant, she has a baby." She was getting upset because his reaction was far from what she expected.

"I know that, Kgomotso."

"Then why are you acting stupid all of a sudden?"

Shit. He was messing this up big time, digging a deeper hole that would soon swallow him whole. It was best to regroup before this blew up in his face because he couldn't bear to see the look of hurt and disappointment in her eyes.

"No, I'm not..." He sighed, shaking his head

"So what is it? You don't want me to keep it?"

"What? No! I didn't say that, Kgomotso."

"Then, what are you saying, Anesu?" She shouted.

He reached for her hand. "Can we please talk about this somewhere else?"

"I don't think I want to go anywhere with you."

"Please, baby." He kissed the back of her hand. "I just want us to talk."

"But we are talking right now."

"Not here, please." He begged.

"Okay, fine."

"Send your mother a message and tell her you're not sleeping home tonight."

She frowned, looking at him. Her father wasn't going to be happy about that. "I left my phone inside."

"Use mine." He unlocked it and handed it to her.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"A hotel."

"Just to talk, right?"

She didn't want him getting any ideas because that's why they were in this predicament in the first place.

"Yes, just to talk."

"Okay." She settled in the seat and fastened the seatbelt. Maybe she overreacted and talking would help them reach an understanding.

Yallunder's Ndinovalo started playing as soon as he put the car in reverse and she immersed herself into the words because they resonated with her own fear about the outcome of the talk he was so eager to have.

They arrived at the Riverside Sun Hotel located on the banks of the Vaal River and there was still no response from ausi Daphne. It was a beautiful night with the moon out on full display and it was hard not to pretend they were out for a romantic evening. He held her hand, helping her out of the car and they walked up to reception in silence because there was no use for small talk.