17

She didn’t go to work today, she made the decision on a whim as she drove out of the complex and turned right, going to Klipriver Road instead of left, leading to the congested freeway. The thought of going to work didn’t excite her anymore mainly because she didn’t want to face Jack, knowing that he preyed on women and with no solution to this Sibakhulu mess she’d only waste time in her office twiddling her thumbs, which would drive her into a madhouse faster than Yolisa’s antics.

Hazel wasn’t happy about going into the lion’s den alone and having to answer for their disappearance yesterday. She didn’t feel the need to justify herself to Hazel not because she didn’t care but because her peace of mind was already swinging on a shaky thread between sanity and insanity, and didn’t allow her the privilege to coddle her friend’s feelings.

She stopped at Woolworths for a few essentials to whip up a quick and easy lunch, it would be unfair to expect ausi Daphne to cook when she was the one who showed up without calling first. She also added their Peppermint Caramel Gateau Cake, her father’s favourite, hoping it would soften him up because he won’t be happy to know she bailed on work to see him.        

She brought her Audi to a gradual halt outside an extended four room house in Sharpeville, unfastened the seatbelt and stepped out to unlock the gate. It didn’t look like anybody was home and there was no sign of her father’s Jetta in the yard. She drove in and parked in front of the garage.      

The new paint colour for the exterior was a good choice and perfectly matched ausi Daphne’s vibrant personality, her father probably agreed to it because it made Daphne happy. If it wasn’t for the occasional clucking you wouldn’t know there were chickens in the yard, her father built the coop behind the garage and they had enough space to run around, lay eggs and do everything else chickens did.

“Bathong, Kgomotso is that you?”

Oh she was no longer Tsekeleke because that’s what she used to call her.

It was Mathapelo from next door, washing the laundry with a baby strapped on her back. Kgomotso didn’t recognize her at first glance but she was more confused by her friendliness because she had a viper’s tongue and didn’t hesitate to use it especially when it came to reminding her about her weight. Ausi Daphne could’ve warned her that Mathapelo was back.

“Hello.” Kgomotso sounded callous but it didn’t matter because she wasn’t exactly ecstatic to reunite with her tormenter.

Mathapelo stopped washing and wiped her hands on her dress. “You don’t remember me, do you?”

“I know who you are.”

She presented a frail smile once she realized Kgomotso wasn’t warming up to her like she had hoped.

“Ausi Daphne took your father to the hospital for his check-up.”

“That’s fine, I have a key.”

“Oh, okay.” Her smile waned as she came closer to the fence. “It’s been a while, hey? I don’t even remember the last time I saw you.”

“Yes, it’s been a long time and I’m no longer that little girl you used to bully relentlessly.”

“Hawu, Kgomotso you call that bullying? I was just playing, you know that. We were all young and didn’t know any better.” She folded her arms across her chest.

She didn’t expect any less from Mathapelo, this is how she operated and the reason they never got along.    

Kgomotso shrugged. “It’s fine, it was silly of me to think you’d understand and it’s not like you and I will ever be friends.”

“Why not? We’re both grown women now surely we can move on from something that happened 20 plus years ago.”

“Keep telling yourself that.”

“Oh.” Her smile was less friendly and more menacing, which was no surprise to Kgomotso because that was the Mathapelo she knew. “You think you’re now better than me because you live in Jozi and drive an Audi?” Her arms were firmly planted on her hips and it didn’t help that she looked like a venomous snake ready to attack.

“I didn’t say that, Mathapelo.”

“I’m not stupid, Kgomotso.”

That was debatable.

“At least I was able to keep a man, yours left you and married someone else.”

If it were a year ago Kgomotso would be bothered by her words and maybe shed a few tears, but she’d come a long way since then and using Xola as a weapon to attack her didn’t work anymore. But ausi Daphne needed a scolding because spreading her business to the likes of Mathapelo was just unacceptable.

“I’m not surprised you think of that as some sort of achievement you were always shallow and in desperate need of a man’s validation. If you were good at keeping a man as you claim, your children would have the same father.”

Kgomotso didn’t mean to say that but Mathapelo didn’t just press her buttons she got under her skin and made her whole body itch, and taking the high road went out the window. She went back to her car and off loaded the groceries, leaving Mathapelo hurling insults over the fence for the whole neighbourhood to hear. She called her barren, a spinster and couldn’t resist to throw in a few jabs about her weight, and threatened to beat Kgomotso up if they ever crossed paths in the street.

The commotion eventually died down when one of her friend’s arrived with a six pack of Hooch, and her name became the topic of discussion. They were loud enough for Kgomotso to hear, baiting her to come out for round two of Mathapelo’s vulgar insults.

Kgomotso was grateful when she heard a car driving in, her couscous was almost done and the marinated lamb chops were already in the oven, all that was left to do was to rinse the butternut and cook it. Ausi Daphne was the first one out of the car and her father didn’t wait for his wife to help him out, he was stubborn and she was patient like a saint. He had a brace around his wrist and hated how restrictive the sling was and never failed to complain about it.

“Hello, Manana.” Ausi Daphne pulled her into a tight hug. “Why didn’t you tell us you were coming? I wouldn’t have stopped at Makro after our appointment at the hospital.”

“I didn’t want to ruin the surprise.”

“What a lovely surprise, right Jerry?” She nudged his arm

“Yes, but you didn’t have to miss work to come and see me. I’m fine and Daphne already worries enough I don’t want you to worry too.”

“Work can wait, you’re far too important to me, papa. And telling me not to worry won’t make me worry less.” She hugged him and stayed a bit longer in their embrace, she was a daddy’s girl and that has never changed.

“Kgomotso’s right, just be happy that she came and stop complaining like an old man.”

“But I am an old man, who’s still waiting for grandchildren to chase around while I still have the energy to do so.”

Talking about children made her feel uneasy because she didn’t know if Anesu wanted to be a father one day and to bring it up when their relationship was still fairly new would send him running for the hills.

“Bathong, papa, don’t start. I don’t even have a husband yet, you’ll just have to wait a little longer for those grandchildren.”

“Okay.” He smiled. “I hope it won’t be a long wait.”

“Ausi Daphne, please talk to your husband.”

She laughed and nudged him again. “Stop it, Jerry.”

“Fine, I’ll drop it only if you’ve bought that thing that I like.”

“Yes, I did.”

“Good. Please cut me a slice and I’ll have my tea black with one teaspoon of  brown sugar. I’ll give you and Daphne a moment to catch up.” He disappeared into the sitting room to watch the crime shows he loved so much on the ID channel.

“Don’t cut a big slice, your father sometimes acts like he doesn’t have diabetes.”

Kgomotso filled the kettle with water and switched it on. “Okay.”

“Is everything alright, Manana?”

She could never hide anything from Daphne she knew her better than Caroline, but she didn’t want to talk about work or Anesu because it would lead to more questions she didn’t want to answer.

“Yes, I am, why?”

“It’s unlike you to show up unexpected.”

“I just needed a break from work, it gets really hectic this time of the year.”

It didn’t look like Caroline believed her but she respected her enough not to push.

“Okay, now that you are here we’ll finalize the menu for the Christmas lunch, are you bringing a plus one?”

“A plus one?”

“Yes, a date.”

She busied herself with setting the cup and saucer on the tray. Was it too soon to introduce Anesu to them?

“No, I don’t have a plus one.”

“Oh, okay. I have someone in mind.”

Her head shot up and she stopped cutting the cake. “Who?”

“Raymond, you two used to go to school together. I saw him last week when he came to church with his mother.”

Yes, way back in primary, the name sounded familiar but she definitely wouldn’t point him out in a crowd.

“Bathong, ausi Daphne, I don’t even remember him. What would we even talk about? It will be awkward.” She protested.

She waved off her doubts. “Don’t worry, he’s a good boy, handsome too and has a job in Secunda.”

Was that supposed to make her feel better? She already had a handsome man who owned a company and satisfied her beyond measure between the sheets.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea.”

“But it won’t hurt to think about it.”

“Okay, fine, I’ll think about it.”
                            ***********

Kgomotso didn’t want to leave that’s how she always felt after spending time with her father and ausi Daphne, who would be in a hurry to leave their safe haven? It was the one place she knew she’d never be turned away no matter how bad she messed up because they still continued to shower her with attention, love and support and did it all with zero judgement. Even though it was evident the downtime wouldn’t fix half the problems she had, it was beneficial for her peace of mind, and she would do it again tomorrow if she could.

At 18:00 they urged her to leave because her father was against her driving at night, ausi Daphne gave her a Tupperware of their leftovers from lunch and they waved goodbye from the veranda and only went back inside once her car disappeared from sight. Her father checked on his chickens before turning in for the night and ausi Daphne gave Mathapelo what was left of the lamb chops and couscous even though Kgomotso told her how Mathapelo insulted her. 

She stopped at an Engen garage on Route 59 and filled up, she didn’t want to worry about petrol tomorrow morning en route to work. The petrol attendant was friendly (friendly enough to propose marriage) and even checked her oil and water after washing her windscreen, proving to her he’d be a useful husband. She laughed and told him she was already married before she drove off.

Her ringtone interrupted her jamming session but her annoyance simmered down when Anesu’s name popped up on the screen. They talked via text the whole day cause he was held up in some meeting about a new development in Centurion, she could hardly keep up with all the projects he was working on and it was a wonder how he did it.

“Hello.”

“Hi, baby.”

“Long day? You sound tired,” she asked.

“Ja, it was rather long because we had to do a site visit.”

“Have I ever told you that you work too hard?”

He chuckled. “All the time.”

“And I won’t stop until you listen to me.”

“I do listen to you.” His tone was laced with humour, clearly he wasn’t taking her serious.

“Mxm.”

His laughter was loud and annoying her. “I’ll hang up.” Kgomotso threatened.

“Okay. Ngiyaxolisa,” he said sweetly.

He had her smiling like a smitten teenager, she was so far gone when it came to Anesu there was no turning back now. He was the hill where she was prepared to lay her life down.

“Fine.”

“I miss you,” he drawled.

“Hawu, but we were together yesterday.”

“So, you don’t miss me?”

“That’s not even a question, I do miss you.”

He smirked because he could hear the yearning in her voice. “I couldn’t even concentrate in the meeting today cause I couldn’t stop thinking about you riding me in my car. That Mercedes has undoubtedly become my favourite for obvious reasons.”

She was grateful he wasn’t in close proximity because she wouldn’t hesitate to jump his bones again. “What if someone saw us? I hope Yolisa didn’t because I’ll never hear the end of it.”

“Don’t worry about it, it was fairly dark to make out who was inside.”

It was easy for him to say, he didn’t live there she was the one who had to face those people every day, while they laughed behind her back because she was stupid enough to put her ass on display.   

“Why does it sound like you are driving?”

“Yes, I’m on my way home.”

“I don’t like it when you work late, MaModise.”

Oh, she was MaModise now?

“I wasn’t at work, I went to see my parents.”

“But you didn’t tell me this when we were talking earlier.”

Hai, what was happening? She left her father in Sharpville and didn’t need Anesu to start moonlighting as one cause Jerry Modise was holding it down in that department.

“I didn’t realize I had to report to you.”

“That’s how you see it, as reporting to me?” he sounded bewildered.

“What am I supposed to think when you’re using that tone with me?”

“My tone is fine.”

“I didn’t realize you were the controlling type.”

“Don’t compare me to your ex, Kgomotso.”

That’s not what she was doing but disputing that would make things worse but she was too mad to let logic prevail.

“Then don’t act like him, demanding my whereabouts you’re not my husband.”

“So, I don’t matter because I’m not your husband?”

“Stop putting words in my mouth, I didn’t say that,” she shouted.

“We are in a relationship, Kgomotso, and in order for our relationship to thrive we need to communicate openly and that includes telling your partner where you are at all times.”

“So, you think I don’t want this relationship to work?”

He loved that she spoke her mind and didn’t back down easily, the challenge excited him but this was getting ridiculous. She was worse than a stubborn mule, how was she twisting everything he said to suit her narrative even though she was wrong.

“That’s crazy.” The words were out of his mouth before he could stop them.

“Oh, so I’m also crazy?!”

“Please, calm down.”

The silence which followed didn’t put him at ease, she was probably plotting his murder and he would never see it coming. As much as she lit his soul on fire, he learned today that she was equally as frustrating and he wasn’t sure about that combination. If his past experiences have taught him anything it’s that it always led to a disastrous end.

“Xola is here,” she said.

“Your ex?”

“Yes. I just got home and found him here, waiting for me. I have to go.” She hung up.

He moved away from his car, holding a bouquet of red roses when she stepped out of her Audi.

“Hello, beautiful.” He smiled.

That word sounded foreign coming out of his mouth because to him she was always cute or pretty but never beautiful.

“What do you want?” Kgomotso demanded.

He handed her the roses. “These are for you.”

She made no move to accept the roses because she’d probably end up hitting him with them. To make up for all the heartache he put her through and thinking that red roses would fix her broken heart. “What do you want?”

“Can we go inside and talk?”

“No. Say what you need to say here and leave.”

Xola frowned, this wasn’t going how he had planned. She always loved it when he bought her roses and was quick to forgive his transgressions and they would move on like nothing happened. He didn’t always treat her right but she loved him regardless and that never changed no matter how much he let her down. 

“Nolitha still won’t forgive me for what happened with Sonia no matter how much I apologize.”

“What does that have to do with me? Go back to your wife and fix things.”

He sighed, scraping up every ounce of courage to go after what he wanted. “I want you back, Kgomotso.”

Her eyes almost popped out of their sockets and was rendered speechless for a moment, as his words sunk in.

“You’re married.”

“She doesn’t have to know.”

What did she ever see in this man? If only she could go back in time and erase their 8 year relationship and erase him from her life because all he does is hurt her.

“That’s the same woman you left me for, now you want to sneak around with me because you two are going through a rough patch.”

“I made a mistake, I shouldn’t have left you.”

That won’t work on her anymore, he was so full of himself he actually thought she would drop everything and run back into his heart. Clearly he was delusional.

“I wouldn’t take you back even if you were the last man on earth because you are vile Xola and you disgust me. Why aren’t you at Sonia’s right now begging to be with her?”

“What I did with Sonia was a mistake.”

“Yeah, right, like all the others you fucked while we were together. People eventually learn from their mistakes but it’s a different story with you.”

“I know you still love me, Kgomotso. I was your first.”

“Yes, you were my first but definitely not the best.”

His face instantly changed to anger. “You don’t mean that.”

“Is there a problem here?”

They both turned at the sound of Yolisa’s voice.

“No. Go away, you’re interrupting us.” Xola waved her away. He needed to know who was better than him, everything she knew about sex was because of him.

“Haibo, Babygirl, who is this wanna be cheeseboy? Does he know who I am?” she said, taking out her okapi. “I will stab you, kwedini, I don’t play.” She aimed it at Xola’s neck.

“You should leave and never come back here,” said Kgomotso, looking at him.

“Are you deaf? Vaya before I rip out your throat. And I hope you heard what she said, I don’t ever want to see you around here.”

Today was the first time she was happy to see Yolisa minus the knife.

“Leave the flowers,” she said, snatching them out of his hands.

“Why do you walk around carrying a knife?” asked Kgomotso, as they watched Xola drive away.

“Why don’t you have one? This is South Africa, a girl must be prepared for anything.”

She was right South Africa was a dangerous place for women but Kgomotso was still sceptical about the knife issue.

“Who is he?”

Kgomotso sighed. After such a blissful day her peace of mind was officially ruined, Xola deserved to burn in all the circles of hell and endure a lifetime of torture.

“My ex.”

“Yho, hai, he has a big nose, shem. How did you kiss him for longer than 2 minutes without suffocating?”

Kgomotso remained silent, how would she even begin to answer that question?

“Does sbari know about him?” she asked, and wasn’t even offended that Kgomotso ignored her.

“Sbari?” She frowned.

“Your boyfriend, you’ve forgotten about him already?”

“No, of course not.”

“Good because he’s a good man,” Yolisa said, smelling the roses.

Yolisa’s honesty (if she could call it that) surprised her but it didn’t make Kgomotso feel any better because she may have ruined things between them with her big mouth.

“What are you going to do with the roses,” asked Kgomotso to distract herself from her thoughts of Anesu.

“Put them in a vase.”

“Okay.”

It was time to go inside and figure out a way to fix the mess she created with Anesu.